Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience:  Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience
1470369

I have litter sisters. They are my daughter's. They are

Customer Question

I have litter sisters. They are my daughter's. They are about nine months old. One pooped on the couch in front of me. They are my daughter's cats and she comes by to visit once or twice a week.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name?
Customer: I have named her Hazel, my daughter named her Poo
JA: Is there anything else the veterinarian should be aware of about your daughter's cat?
Customer: They did have ear mitts during the summer. I clean the litter box every morning
Submitted: 30 days ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Cher replied 30 days ago.

Hi, I'm Cher. Welcome to JustAnswer.

I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply, shortly.

Expert:  Cher replied 30 days ago.

Hello again,

There are various reasons why Hazel defecated on the couch right in front of you. She may be having an intestinal problem and just couldn't hold it, she may be stressed and felt she needed to mark territory. If any stray cats hang around your house, she can be picking up their scent and this give her the urge to 'mark;' it's instinctive.

Make sure to clean the soiled area with an enzyme based cleaner for pet stains and odors, like Nature's Miracle, Zero Odor, Odor Mute and many more, available at your pet supply store.

Also, you can get a Feliway plug in diffuser to help diminish any stress/anxiety she may be feeling. Here is more information:

http://www.feliway.com/us

-----------------

It might be a stressful situation, that your daughter visits once or twice a week. The kittens may be confused why she's not staying and spending more time with them, if they're her cats. You have bonded with them more, because you are their primary caretaker and food source.

It would be a good idea to have Hazel seen by her vet and have a fresh fecal sample tested, to see if there are any intestinal parasites. Some are not visible with the naked eye, but must be seen under a microscope.

http://www.vet.cornell.edu/fhc/Health_Information/brochure_parasite.cfm

-----------------

If you have only one litterbox, try adding a second one in a different location and this might help. Use an unscented scoopable litter and you might add some 'Cat Attract', a litter additive that contains herbal attractants which encourage use of the litterbox. Also, if she does it again, place the feces in the litterbox and show it to her, so she knows where it belongs, not on the couch.

https://drelseys.com/product/cat-attract-litter-additive/

-----------------------

I hope all will be well with Hazel and her sister!

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback, as that is the only way I receive recognition from the website for my assistance. Thank you very much!

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply to Expert' for clarification or additional information, if needed.

Warmest regards,

Cher

Expert:  Cher replied 26 days ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Customer
Expert:  Cher replied 25 days ago.

Hi again,

I'm just checking in with you to see how everything is going with Hazel.

Did you find my answer helpful?

Please let me know.

Thanks,

Cher