Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian in Practice 19 Years
2263760

I have a 12 week old kitten. one of her eye looks swollen

Customer Question

I have a 12 week old kitten. one of her eye looks swollen with reddish brown discharge and sneezes.
Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: she was test for FIV/L and is negative. I will be taking her to the vet next week appointment. As of right new, is there anything I can do for her. She has a huge appetite, stool is solid, and very playful.
Submitted: 21 days ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 21 days ago.

Hello. Thank you for asking your question. My name is***** will try to help.

Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 21 days ago.

It sounds like she has an upper respiratory tract infection which is a viral cat cold.

Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 21 days ago.

Is she squinting the eye or unable to open the eye? Did her symptoms just start today?

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Her left eye is smaller and squinting. I just adopted her from a rescue organization yesterday and noticed it for two days now.
Customer: replied 21 days ago.
She has an appointment with a Vet next Tuesday. Is there anything I can do in the mean time or should I take her to a walk in sooner?
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 21 days ago.

Ok so upper respiratory tract infections are very common. If her eye is involved, and she is squinting and there is drainage, I think she should be seen today or tomorrow. Most regular vets are open today and Saturday mornings. He eye should be checked to make sure the virus is not affecting her cornea. The cornea is a thin layer of cells that covers the front of the eye. It is sensitive so when the cornea is affected they may squint the eye. Treatment would be antibiotic eye medication to make sure the cornea does not become infected. So you would have to see a vet to get the antibiotic eye medication because they do not sell it over the counter.

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Thanks. I'll call my vet now.
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 21 days ago.

For her sneezing you can give her human bendaryl. Based on her age Im guessing she weighs about 2.5 pounds. That would be 1 ml or 1 cc of benadryl every 12 hours as needed for the sneezing.

Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 21 days ago.

Keep a humidifier in the room with her.

When you take a shower bring her into the bathroom and steam out her respiratory tract.

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
She's tiny born with a spinal curve and back paw has one toe from umbilical cord being tangled. She's probably 1.5 lbs.
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 21 days ago.

If cats have a stuffy nose and can not smell the food they do not eat as well. So you can use really smelly fish flavors and warm the food to make it more fragrant.

You are welcome.

I am glad you are able to take her in sooner. : )

Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 21 days ago.

Ok then 1/2 cc of benadryl every 12 hours. Your vet may have a different antihistamine they prefer to recommend.

Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 19 days ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Gabby