Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

Copper is 7 yrs and we have had him 1 1/2 yrs. he has not

Customer Question

copper is 7 yrs and we have had him 1 1/2 yrs. he has not had any real muscle mass(bony feeling)since we adopted him and he eates all the time but vomits frequently.vet did blood test and everything is normal(we wormed him just in case) except his red blood cell count was low.wht other diseases or conditions could keep him from getting protein and low red blood cell count
JA: Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did copper eat anything unusual?
Customer: no same hard food w/ 2 tblsn soft food
JA: Have there been any changes in the cat's appearance or diet?
Customer: No but i found a tick embedded in the back of his neck that had been there probably a couple of wks because it had a scab forming around ticks head.he had no muscles even before is found bug
JA: Is there anything else you think the vet should know?
Customer: my vet said he was missing some teeth and one tooth had a lesion(resorbing she called it or something like that), he still eats cruchy food and mouth doesn't seem to bother him at all
Submitted: 25 days ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 25 days ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

1) Can you share a copy of the blood work results with me?
2) When was the bloodwork last run?
3) Stool is 100% normal?

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
They didn't give me a copy of the bloodwork, bill just says they did a CBC/ANP1/T4/FELV/FIV(FEP4) test and they said he was neg for anything except low red blood cell count (done on 11-4-16). I didn't get a stool sample(4 cats althogether), they gave him Drontal 18.2 MG / 72.6 MG TABS

If the blood work is normal, and it sounds like it's normal enough to rule out the 'typical' stuff we see causing an animal who is very thin, it may be time to consider more diagnostics such as an abdominal x-rays, ultrasound or more specialized tests to ensure that he is not reaching a point of malnutrition.

Has your vet suggested any of these?

Customer: replied 24 days ago.
they are going to take another blood sample to see if his red bld cell count is up, maybe some antibiotics were mentioned.
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 24 days ago.

Let me know the result of the RBC count once it's done. If they will send you home with a copy of the blood work, as well, from the other day this may help me to be able to best assist you.

Customer: replied 24 days ago.
okay. what would a x-ray or ultrasound be looking for?

Any abnormal structures in the body, such as unidentifiable masses, tumors, etc. Ultrasound is often more diagnostic in these cases where bloodwork hasn't been grateful useful in diagnosis.

Customer: replied 24 days ago.
could he have just had worms since he eats regular if not more. everything i have read on cat digestive diseases say loss of appetite.maybe food allergies

Worms are possible but we typically see them a little on the thin side, possibly with some soft stool. Lacking muscle mass is not something we associate with just parasites. In any case, a basic fecal and dewormer should have been performed at some point in his life and should have resulted in improvements. The types of parasites we see in cats are also not typically responsible for anemia, either.

Food allergies also manifest themselves differently. We can see open sores and itching on the body, diarrhea, etc. It doesn't sound like he's had those types of symptoms either.

Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 23 days ago.

Checking in, JACustomer. I didn't hear back from you yesterday. How is your companion doing? Do you need more assistance?