Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience:  Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience
1470369

Female cat 5 yrs old and is towing up mostly liquid. Took

Customer Question

Female cat 5 yrs old and is towing up mostly liquid.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the cat?
Customer: Took her to vet few was ago but condition hasn't improved very much. Vet gave her veraflox
JA: Where does the cat seem to hurt?
Customer: She doesn't hurt and seems to play as normal
JA: OK. No obvious pain. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the veterinarian can help you. What is the cat's name?
Customer: Starlett
JA: Is there anything else important you think the veterinarian should know about Starlett?
Customer: No seems normal but sick about twice a week
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Cher replied 6 months ago.

Hi, I'm Cher. Welcome to JustAnswer.

I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply, shortly.

Expert:  Cher replied 6 months ago.

Hello again,

When did Starlett first start throwing up liquid, about twice a week?

Does she throw up right before eating, right after eating, soon after eating or just at random times?

What color is the liquid?

What food do you feed her (brand and canned or dry)?

Are her litterbox habits (urine/stools) normal?

Does she spend any time outside?

Is she spayed?

Did the vet explain why Veraflox was being prescribed?

Thanks for all your additional information and after you reply, please allow me a short time to type and send your detailed answer.

Warmest wishes,

Cher

Expert:  Cher replied 6 months ago.

Hello, again.

If Starlett is throwing up mainly liquid about two times a week, this could be due to excess stomach acid or acid reflux, where acid comes up into her throat and burns and causes nausea. If she is on a feeding schedule, she needs to be fed smaller meals, more often, as an empty stomach will produce excess acid. If she's on free feed with dry food, she may have developed allergies to components in her food. Here is more information on how best to feed our cats, in a series of articles written by a feline veterinarian:

http://catinfo.org/

-------------

You can reduce her stomach acid and control acid reflux by giving her 1/4 of a 10 mg. tablet of Pepcid AC (generic: Famotidine) before her first meal of the day and then another 1/4 tablet, 12 hours later.

http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid

---------------------------

The Veraflox is an antibiotic, so the vet may feel she has some sort of intestinal infection; however, this medication is not usually used for intestinal infections:

"In cats, Veraflox is used to treat acute infections of the upper respiratory tract caused by certain specific bacteria. In addition, the oral suspension can also be used to treat some skin infections, including wound infections and abscesses, caused by certain specific bacteria."

She would have benefited from an anti-emetic injection to stop nausea.

If the fluid is brown, it's digested food; if it's clear, it can just be from nausea; if it's green, it can be bile caused by an empty stomach. If there are any pieces in her vomit, this could be undigested food.

You might want to try a Limited Ingredient Diet, if she has food allergies, which contains novel proteins (meat) and carbs, like duck, venison, green pea, brown rice, etc. Companies like Royal Canin, Blue, Natural Balance, and others make these and you can find them in your pet supplies store.

Common allergens for cats are corn, soy, wheat, gluten, carrageenan, artificial flavors, colors and preservatives, so a grain-free food would be best, ***** ***** The L.I.D. foods listed above are good for cats who have allergies to mainly the protein (meat) in their food.

She also could be nibbling on a plant or flowers you may have in the house, or on other things, if she spends any time outside. She may be getting into the trash or other items in your house, so check around and make sure all rubbish receptacles are tightly covered and don't feed her any table food.

She also could be eating too fast, so for dry food, place a new, washed golf ball in the middle of her bowl, so she's forced to eat 'around' it. For canned food, serve on a flat plate and mash it down with a fork, so it's not mounded up in the middle. Raising her dishes (food/water) up to chest level is also good for digestion.

I hope your Starlett will be feeling better very soon and you and your vet can find out the cause of this throwing up, so it can be treated properly.

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback, as that is the only way I receive recognition from the website for my assistance. Thank you very much!

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply to Expert' for clarification or additional information, if needed.

Warmest wishes,

Cher