Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.
437368

My 6 year old female cat is not eating on her own or

Customer Question

My 6 year old female cat is not eating on her own or drinking. We noticed 1 week ago and took her to the vet on Sat AM, they didn't do much because they were closing. Took her a Vet ER later that night. They did an exam and at the end of the visit gave her Mirtazapine for an appetite stimulant and said every 48 to give it her and some prescription cat food. They didn't notice anything else with blood work being done. Her energy level is "decent" walking, jumping, but if she can she hides most of the day. We have been feeding her and giving her water through a syringe since Sunday and she drinks and eats ( about 4 times a day of about 6 cc)and goes to the litter box, but to eat on her own she has not accomplished yet. She sits at the food and water and just stares at it. Her sister (fro the same litter) hisses at her quite often.
JA: Did the cat have a fall?
Customer: Not that we know of... she is still pretty strong when trying to feed her and get her from under the bed.
JA: Have there been any changes in the cat's appearance or diet?
Customer: she is a house cat, never set foot on grass ever and about 14 pounds.
JA: Is there anything else you think the vet should know?
Customer: Her demeanor is great, no signs of frustration, angry, etc. My assumption is my husband dropped his blood pressure meds on the floor and she might have gotten one. They "event" happened like overnight for her.
Submitted: 26 days ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Terri replied 25 days ago.

Hello, My name is Terri.
It is my pleasure to assist you today!
I am reviewing your question right now and will reply in a few minutes.

Expert:  Terri replied 25 days ago.

Anytime a cat hides she is either sick or in pain. Feel all over her body for any pain response. Look in her mouth for any abnormalities.

If she ingested a blood pressure pill it could cause low BP but the effects should not last more than 48 hours.

Rub a drop of honey or syrup into her gums to raise her blood sugar in case she is hypoglycemic.

Give her an ounce of warm milk in case her potassium is low.

Drain the water from a can of tuna into a dish and see if she will lap it up for hydration. If she does offer some tuna.

Get a jar of baby food chicken or turkey with no onion powder. Offer it warm to bring out the aroma. Also try warm canned cat food.

Please let me know how she is doing .

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback; that is the only way I receive credit for my assistance. Thank you very much!

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed, at no additional charge.

Kind regards,

Terri

Expert:  Terri replied 23 days ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

purrfectkitty