Sarah Snow
Sarah Snow,
Experience:  Veterinarian at The Vet Clinic East
95832735

My cat has sores all over her body. She has scratched so

Customer Question

My cat has sores all over her body. She has scratched so much that her hair is gone
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the veterinarian. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Charlie is her name. She is almost 13 years old She has never been outside
JA: Is there anything else important you think the veterinarian should know about Charlie?
Customer: At times she sounds like she is wheezing She still eats like normal. However, she will not come upstairs to our bedroom anymore. She only lays on the chair and goes to eat and use the liter pan
Submitted: 24 days ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Sarah Snow replied 23 days ago.

I am Dr. Snow, and I can try and help you with Charlie. Scratching and sores can be several different things, and sometimes it bothers them so much that their behavior changes. Do you have any other pets that could have brought fleas in? She may need a flea treatment regardless, and if she is that itchy, your veterinarian would be able to prescribe some medication to help. Itchiness and sores can also be due to allergies, such as food sensitivities or environmental allergens.

Your local pet store should have some topical allergy relief treatments available that may help. Sometimes applying some coconut oil to the skin (which is safe to be ingested) can help the sores.

Please post back with further questions.