Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My 9 year old male cat has had diahrrea(?) for the past

Customer Question

My 9 year old male cat has had diahrrea(?) for the past several weeks. He still has a healthy appetite and is eating the same cat food as he always has. He is strictly an indoor cat (one of two). Could this be the beginning signs of something? I have always had cats and have never had one with this problem.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name?
Customer: Toes
JA: Is there anything else the veterinarian should be aware of about Toes?
Customer: When he was 1-2, he showed the beginning signs of having the disease when his urine crystalizes. I feed him dry cat food that I buy from my vet for this, but have always supplemented with regular canned cat food. He has never shown any additional signs of his earlier urinary track problem since he was 1-2.
Submitted: 24 days ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 24 days ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. If you get a request for a phone call, it is from the website and not myself. Chronic diarrhea in cats is usually a symptom of a more serious issue. In most cases, there is some sort of inflammatory bowel disease/irritable bowel syndrome (IBD/IBS). It can also be diet related. An allergy to a certain ingredient in a food can develop at any time, even if they have been on the food for years. Other things to consider are pancreatic or liver problems, hyperthyroidism, intestinal parasites (usually not the case if cats are indoor only), intestinal infection or gastrointestinal lymphoma (cancer). I would have your vet run a fecal exam and some routine blood work to start out. Based on that, I would consider running a GI panel to look for at pancreatic and primary gastrointestinal issues (i.e.; IBD/IBS, lymphoma). A fecal culture may help but is not ran as much. He probably needs to be on a course of metronidazole, but he may need to be on that long term for certain issues. Some cats with IBD/IBS (or even lymphoma) need steroids. Adding fiber to the diet (Metamucil or pure canned pumpkin) may help. Many cats are deficient in cobalamin, which is needed for proper digestion, and require injections. If there are some pancreatic issues, some cats may need to be on pancreatic enzyme supplementation. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.