Dr. Ellie
Dr. Ellie, Veterinarian
Experience:  emergency and critical care resident
95200773

6 yr old neutered male cat seen Mon for conjunctivitis of

Customer Question

6 yr old neutered male cat seen Mon for conjunctivitis of eye. Had thorough checkup while there. Now, has sore penis and is hiding, whining and hunched while walking. No apparent blood in litter box. It's midnight, can I wait till am for vet? Ours is closed on Wed, may need emergency vet office.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the veterinarian should know about the cat?
Customer: Somewhat itchy, but perhaps that's the sore penis. This came on last few hours.
Submitted: 27 days ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Ellie replied 27 days ago.

If the cat is urinating normally, then you can take him in in the morning, but i would not wait longer than that as he may develop a life threatening urinary obstruction.

If you do not know if he is urinating, or if he is urinating small amounts or going in and out of the letterbox frequently, then the best thing to do is to take him in to the emergency vet tonight as he may have a urinary obstruction and this can be life threatening. If he is vomiting, I would also take him in tonight as this is a sign of urethral obstruction.