Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My nine month old cat just ate a 4.5 inch ribbon. Should I

Customer Question

My nine month old cat just ate a 4.5 inch long ribbon. Should I just look for it in stools or go to the vet? My first cat. Thanks!
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The veterinarian will know if the cat will be able to digest that. What is the cat's name?
Customer: Olive
JA: Is there anything else important you think the veterinarian should know about Olive?
Customer: Can't think of anything.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 4 months ago.

Hi,I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your question now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

Hello again

I have worked out an answer for you below.

1. Long objects such as ribbon and string can sometimes cause quite severe problems to cats. One of the best things you can do in this sort of situation is to make your cat sick immediately and try recover the ribbon that way. If you can do this within the first hour after ingestion then things should be OK. For the sake of speed I will give you a link on how to do this best : LINK

It is harder to make cats vomit than dogs but it is still possible, also be aware that an ER vet will be able to quickly induce vomiting with prescription drugs.

2. If you do not manage to induce vomiting then all you can do is monitor Olive for present as there is some degree of chance that it will pass without problem anyway. But be aware that there is a potential hazard, you see sometimes objects like ribbon or string can tie a cat's small intestine together in a concertina type effect and so cause an intestinal blockage. If this has happened it would be a very serious situation indeed and would require immediate surgery so you should look out for such symptoms as vomiting, lethargy, abdominal pain or inappetance and contact your vet without delay if such occur

3. Also I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if Olive's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Olive is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the ribbon she swallowed ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?