Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

My 5year old cat is throwing up liquid that I swear is poop.

Customer Question

My 5year old cat is throwing up brown liquid that I swear is poop. What could be the issue? She had kittens 2months ago. She has started weird behavior like pooping in my sink when there are 4 litter boxes to go in. I don't know if it's emotional or internal problem.
Submitted: 30 days ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 30 days ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

1) Do you have a picture of the brown liquid?
2) Is she now spayed?
3) Is she declawed?
4) Have any diagnostics been performed since she began defecating in the sink?

Customer: replied 30 days ago.
No pic. She is not spayed she is declawed in the front . This all just started to happen since the kittens were about 7 weeks old.
Customer: replied 30 days ago.
The male cat aka the dad is in the same house as her. If that makes a difference.
Customer: replied 30 days ago.
Is it possible he attracted her to the point where he could damage her internally to cause this problem ?

This is very unlikely to be an 'emotional issue' and should be worked up medically. To start, cats do not typically ingest stool in such an amount that one would be concerned that they were consuming it. However, we can see digestive concerns that can lead to symptoms that a similar, where the vomitus both looks and smells like feces. As well, defecating in the sink can be an indicator of a range of medical concerns from a urinary tract infection to stress to pain in the feet due to declawing.

Until diagnostics come back negative, I wouldn't be concerned about the male cat causing these symptoms. Chances are that he is not to blame, but do keep a close eye on him for similar symptoms.

Your vet will likely want to start with blood work, a urinalysis and a fecal analysis to check all organ and blood values, ensure that a urinary tract infection does not exist and that parasites aren't to blame for the behavior. As well, x-rays and a barium series may be recommended. These diagnostics should give your vet the most information on what to treat, if anything is medically wrong. That being said, if nothing is wrong on the diagnostics your vet may discuss changing her diet, prophylactic deworming, changing types of litters (using something soft like care fresh) and eventually addressing her inappropriate box usage with behavioral medications.

Customer: replied 30 days ago.
Can stress on a cat really cause such extream symptoms ?

Stress can greatly impact the health and behavior of cats, certainly. In some cases, with both dogs and cats, stress can be enough to cause hospitalization because symptoms are so severe. Vomiting and avoiding litter box usage are, in fact, two of the most common symptoms that we see but we typically do not see the vomitus appearing to be like fecal material.

Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 29 days ago.

Checking in. How is Mishka?