Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM from Iowa State University in 1994; actively engaged in private regular and emergency practice since that time.
36050890

I adopted a wild cat that i have been feeding. The cat has

Customer Question

I adopted a wild cat that i have been feeding. The cat has warmed up just a little to me. but, I noticed that there is some green slime that hangs out of its mouth when it eats, but it goes back up into its mouth. It acts like something is wrong with its jaw, because it can't chew good. Should I be concerned?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the veterinarian can help you. Is there anything else the veterinarian should be aware of about the cat?
Customer: I have been giving it amoxicillan from where my dog had some teeth pulled.
Submitted: 26 days ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 26 days ago.

I'm Dr. Jo and I'm a licensed veterinarian with more than twenty years of experience. I'm here to help with your question about this cat. I'm so sorry you are having this problem, but glad you're looking for the information you need. You may join the conversation at any time by typing in what you want to say then clicking REPLY or SEND. Then we can chat back and forth until you're satisfied with the information I've provided. I'll do my best to earn your good rating, because that's the only way I receive any compensation for helping you.In the meantime, in order to help me help you better, I'll need some more information. To start with, can you please tell me:

• Does the cat also have runny eyes and/or a snotty nose?
  • Would you be able to take this cat to the veterinarian if that is needed?

I'll be standing by and awaiting your reply.Thank you.

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 26 days ago.

I'm asking these things because these symptoms can be associated with a variety of types of infections, injuries, and even tumors.

It is relatively common for feral cats to break their jaw when hit by a car. That will lead to difficulty chewing and stringy, pus-filled discharge from the lower mouth.

That's just one example.

Customer: replied 26 days ago.
No runny eyes and no snotty nose.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 26 days ago.

Glad you're there. Replying more...

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 26 days ago.

In the absence of a snotty nose and runny eyes, the most common thing to cause the symptoms you are describing is some type of injury to the jaw (upper or lower) or teeth. When this happens, the cat cannot open and close it's mouth normally, and there's usually some degree of slimy, thick, and often smelly drool that may be milky and/or bloody.

Customer: replied 26 days ago.
will it heal itself? there is no odor or blood. Can I continue with the antibotic?
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 26 days ago.

One moment while I type...

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 26 days ago.

So sorry... I got pulled away on an emergency call with a vomiting puppy. I'm back now.

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 26 days ago.

If there is a fracture, it is not going to heal on its own, at least not in a desirable fashion. If it's a minor injury, it's possible that it will heal on its own.

Unfortunately, it's impossible for me to know the answer to that question without knowing what the actual problem is, and that would require a hands-on physical examination and probably some x-rays.

You can continue if the antibiotics if you wish to, but -again - we're in the same situation where we don't know if they'll be helpful or not because we don't know the diagnosis.

The bot***** *****ne is that to find out answers to questions like that, the cat needs a hands-on examination and x-rays. I'm afraid there's no substitute for that.

Is there any other information I can help you with tonight? I want to be as helpful as possible because I understand what a difficult situation this is.

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 26 days ago.

I hope this information was helpful to you.

Please also remember I am here for you and am happy to discuss your question until you are satisfied with the answer I've provided. You may return to this page at any time to review this information and/or post more. You may do so even after you've rated my response. I'll be notified of your response via email and will do my best to help you.
If you are satisfied with the information I've provided, please take a moment to rate my response. I've done my best to provide you with the most accurate, thorough and up-to-date information that is available, and your positive feedback is important to me. Without it, I receive no compensation for helping you.
If you are not satisfied, please let me know how else I may be of assistance.
Thank you for using our website.