Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience:  Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience
1470369

Excessive saliva, appears to have blood in the drool, acts

Customer Question

excessive saliva, appears to have blood in the drool, acts like he is going to throw-up but no noise or vomit, enlarged pupils, acts scared when I try to sooth him, started a few days ago (he is 10 years old)
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the cat eat anything unusual?
Customer: No eats normally but seems to want more, eating faster than normal (indoor cat) no excess to plants
JA: Is there anything else the veterinarian should be aware of about the cat?
Customer: I can't think of anything else. I do have a female cat (11 years old) and she is not acting strange
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Cher replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I'm Cher. Welcome to JustAnswer.

I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply, shortly.

Expert:  Cher replied 1 month ago.

Hello, again.

What is your cat's name?

Does he eat canned food or dry food?

Is he drinking and eliminating normally?

Are you able to look inside his mouth for any redness around a tooth, sores, any stuck item and check his gum color, which should be light pink and moist.

Thanks for all your additional information and after you reply, please allow me a short while to type and send your detailed answer.

Warmest wishes,

Cher

Expert:  Cher replied 1 month ago.

Hello again,

I was hoping to get a little more information from you, before sending my answer, but I didn't want you to wait too long for an answer, either.

From your description of his symptoms, it's possible that your cat has an oral/dental problem like an abscessed tooth, infected gums, something stuck between teeth, in the roof of his mouth, between gum and cheek, under his tongue, or something wrapped around his tongue.

Excessive drooling can also indicate nausea. If he's normally, now, his stomach is not empty, but he may have acid reflux or excess stomach acid which causes the nausea. An over the counter acid controller called Pepcid AC or the generic, Famotidine, may help calm the nausea and stop the drooling. You would give him 1/4 of a 10mg. Pepcid AC one half hour before a meal, or you can give it now, to see if it will help. Here is more information:

http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid

---------------------

Another possibility is that he chewed on an electrical wire and burned the inside of his mouth, or licked a caustic or toxic substance.

Older cats can be more prone to develop certain medical conditions like diabetes, hyperthyroidism and kidney disease. Wanting to eat more may indicate diabetes or hyperthyroidism, among other conditions, so a routine senior blood panel, including a thyroid test, would be advisable at this time.

The blood in his drool may indicate either an oral/dental problem or he may be bleeding from his esophagus or stomach, so I would recommend an in-person evaluation by a vet, asap. If your vet is closed now, bring him to the nearest ER vet center.

With his pupils being dilated and you said he seemed scared, something may have frightened him or something is going on in his body, making him feel sick, so seeing the vet tonight will provide you with a diagnosis and treatment, so he's feeling more comfortable.

I hope all will be well with your furry boy and please let me know how he's doing. Thanks!

Did my response help to answer all of the questions you had? If any questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can further assist.

Before signing off today, please take a moment to use the star rating system at the top of the page, to select a positive rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you. Thanks!

Warmest wishes,

Cher

Expert:  Cher replied 30 days ago.

Hi again,

Just a follow-up to see how your furry boy is doing.

Did you find my answer helpful? Please let me know. Thanks!

Warmest regards,

Cher

Expert:  Cher replied 29 days ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Cerecita