Krista Kline
Krista Kline, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Doctor of Veterinary Medicine
96058759

My 9 year old kitty is congested-sneezing, a little bit of

Customer Question

My 9 year old kitty is congested-sneezing, a little bit of nasal discharge, and rubs one of her ears constantly. She seems to be ok energy wise and is eating normally. But she is obviously having difficulty breathing through her nose. Can I give a a tine bit of neosynephrine> I cant afford a vet.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the kitten's name?
Customer: K>C>- Kitty Cat. She has 2 sisters same age that are not displaying any symptons...
JA: Is there anything else the veterinarian should be aware of about K>C>-?
Customer: She has always been totally healthy-she does go outside on the balcony and chews on leaves there. Allergies?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Krista Kline replied 3 months ago.

Hello. I am Dr. Kline and I am a small animal veterinarian. I am going to help you with Kitty Cat today. How long has she been congested and sneezing? Has she ever had these symptoms before? The other cats are not sick correct?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The other cats are not sick. K.C. has never displayed these symptoms before
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Would prefer answers here

Sorry about that. The computer automatically asks that and I don't have capability of doing a phone call at this time.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No telephone and do not want additional charges

Felines tend to have a disease complex called feline upper respiratory disease which is caused by multiple viruses that can lay quite in there bodies for years and for some reason they flare up. A lot of felines have these diseases from a kitten. A few of the viral infections that we commonly see include Feline Herpes Virus and Feline Calicivirus. These can cause significant congestion and nasal discharge.

I am sorry. The computer is asking about the phone call not me. Please ignore it.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
What should I do?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Would a nasal spray be safe and helpful?

I would recommend a humidifier or warm moist air (from shower steam) for 15 to 20 minutes a couple of times a day. That will help open up the airways and make her more comfortable. She may have an ear infection or a polyp in the ear which could be causing her to rub her ear. I don't recommend putting anything in the ear or eyes. If she worsens I do recommend having her examined. We sometimes place these patients on antibiotics to help prevent secondary infections.

I do not recommend trying a nasal spray. Cats usually don't enjoy anything like that and I don't think it would be a benefit to her. It may just cause more irritation and make her upset.

She is still eating correct? If she isn't eating well, sometimes the congestion can cause them not to be able to taste their food. You can warm up some canned food and usually they can smell that and will eat.

Ultimately, if this continues or worsens I would highly recommend getting her examined by a veterinarian.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
She is eating normally- they get wet food daily.

That is a good sign. The viral infections are similar to us in the respect that they have to run their course. She may get better and have another flare up at another date. The other cats may be fine and never have a problem or they may develop it at a later date or time. It just depends.