Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

She has fluid discharge very slow and sleepy. She was the

Customer Question

She has fluid discharge very slow and sleepy. She was the same last week. luna is going to be 9 years old she has not been spray. I am worried she is going to places to hide. I am very concerned. she was like this one week ago but the stoped and we said ohhh is just the heat I am in norway and I know the change of season affects her more
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The veterinarian will know how to help the cat. Is there anything else important you think the veterinarian should know about the cat?
Customer: I am soo worried what to do how to help her
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 7 months ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

If you're seeing a vaginal discharge in an unspayed cat it either indicates estrus (heat) or pyometra (infectious endometritis). A cat in heat wants to escape to find a male, might vocalize more and lordose (raise her back) when pet, and become more affectionate. A cat suffering from pyometra is ill - lethargic, febrile, and perhaps drinking excessively. The discharge associated with pyometra is often composed of blood and pus and far more voluminous than would be expected during estrus.

I wouldn't hesitate to have her vet examine Luna. A complete blood count should reveal an elevated white blood cell count if pyometra is present. An X-ray or ultrasound of Luna's abdomen would reveal an enlarged uterus. Spaying should be curative for either being in heat or suffering from a pyometra. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you. I have read the same. She will.be inn tomorrow for a check. I was or I am worried if is something that can not wait until tomorrow.

An open pyometra (the cervix is open) allows pus to leave an infected uterus. Cats with open pyometras don't become as ill or as quickly ill as those with closed pyometra. I do encourage your having her attended to tomorrow which should be just 8 hours or so from now in Norway.

I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.