petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in caring for dogs and cats.
21300550

A day ago our cat stopped eating and drinking and slept over

Customer Question

A day ago our cat stopped eating and drinking and slept over 10 hours, awakening only to move to another location to sleep. Today our cat vomited a yellow substance and continued to sleep, however this time in the basement in a dark corner. We moved her upstairs and she went out side as she often does, however she has disappeared into the woods behind our home .Is she dying?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the veterinarian should be aware of about the cat?
Customer: Only that she is very social and has withdrawn from my wife and I over the past 2 days.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 month ago.

Hello. Welcome to JustAnswer. I am Dr Z. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with a reply ASAP.

Expert:  petdrz replied 1 month ago.

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 30 years of experience and would be happy work with you.

Can you tell me a little more about her? Age? Previous medical problems?

Was she otherwise fine before 2 days ago?

Has she been losing weight?

Thanks and I will respond further after you reply. There may be a slight delay while I formulate and type a thorough response or I may be offline, but if so, I will respond as soon as I am able.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
She is a Maine coon 11 years old. About a month ago she exhibited twitching in her body and as it lasted a brief moment we dismissed the episode. Up until 2 days ago she was perfectly fine. Her last check up was in March, no issues. We have not noticed any change in her eating and any weight loss.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I am available to continue.
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for the prompt reply.

It is not uncommon for a cat to sequester themselves if they are not feeling well, but it does not necessarily mean they are trying to die. Cats are so very good at hiding their illness, that often by the time they let us know they are not feeling well, they are sicker than we thought.

Expert:  petdrz replied 1 month ago.

The symptoms that she is exhibiting is very vague and not specific for any one disorder. Even though she had a normal check up in March, I would start with that again now to see if there is anything picked up on physical exam that may point to what may be the cause of her current symptoms.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you.
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 month ago.

If her exam is normal, your vet will likely recommend that bloodwork be performed to evaluate her major organ function, like kidneys and liver. When these organs are not functioning properly, it can lead to symptoms as you describe. It is not uncommon for even all of the bloodwork to be normal though if we are dealing with primary GI disease, like inflammatory bowel disease (IBD). In this case, we sometimes use a trial of medication to help confirm the diagnosis or rely on more advanced imaging such as xray or ultrasound to help us.

Expert:  petdrz replied 1 month ago.

I would not allow her to go too long without eating as it can lead to liver disease, even within a few days. I would urge you to find her and get her in to your vet as soon as possible. In the meantime, try to entice her with other foods like tuna, chicken or turkey. Try to encourage fluid intake as well so she doesn't get dehydrated. Tuna water or broths can be offered or even water by eyedropper.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.

My posted replies are for general education only and not meant as a diagnosis. Only after a thorough veterinary examination can a diagnosis for your pet be made and specific treatments be advised or medications be prescribed.

Dr Z