Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

My cat vommitted a piece of some sort of greenish leaf. I do

Customer Question

my cat vommitted a piece of some sort of greenish leaf. I do not have any plants in the house besides her cat grass so I think it may have been a leaf tracked in on a shoe. We have a maple type leaf in the neighborhood falling from trees this fall. She is eating and acting normal but should I take her into the emergency vet
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

In regards ***** ***** question, maple leaves aren't usually toxic. And if she likely had a single one and brought it up, we'd not be overly worried here. Instead, we'd just want to monitor her, rest her stomach +/- start some supportive care to soothe her.

You noted she is eating and that is great. Though any further hints of nausea and we could use an OTC pet safe antacid like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), or Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet). Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do check with your vet before use if she has any known health issues or is on any medications you didn’t mention. As well, if you try this and find the nausea just too severe to keep it down, then that is usually a red flag that we need the local vet to bypass her mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication.

As well, we could also think about a light diet for the next few days. Examples you can use are boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). When you offer these meals, give her 30 minutes after to settle. If she keeps the food down, you can give a bit more and so on. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise that the diet be continued until her signs are settled, and that they are then slowly weaned back to their normal diet.

Overall, this doesn't tend to be a worrisome plant and as she likely just brought up all she had access to, we can choose to monitor her and use the above. Of course, if she didnt' settle, couldn't stop vomiting, or was lethargic; then a check up would be ideal.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you. Thank you!: )