Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

One of my guinea pig babies is lying lifeless (leaning on

Customer Question

hi there! one of my guinea pig babies is lying lifeless (leaning on her side). Her eyes are bit closed and she's breathing very slowly.
JA: Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the veterinarian can help you.
Customer: I dont have a veterinarion anywhere nearby. Is there something that Ishould try doing?
JA: Have there been any changes in appearance or diet?
Customer: I've been feeding them carrots and beans from the past week.
JA: Is there anything else you think the vet should know?
Customer: yeah, the weather here at my place is changing as winters are approaching. Could that be a reason?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long has she been like this?

Has she been eating and drinking?

Does she have access to hay and pellets too? Or just veggies?

Are her gums pink or pale/white?

Is the room she is kept in quite cool?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
she was fine 12 hours ago and this condition seems to have happened in last 6-7 hours maybe. she was eating and drinking fine about 12 hours ago, last when I slept.
It's just carrot and beans from the past week.her gums are light pink, a bit on white side maybe.well, the weather here is changing as the winters are approaching and minimum tempertaure during night ranges from 16 degree celsius to 18 degree celsius.I have kept three guinea pig babies along with their mother in one cage and father alone is in separate cage. Cages have cloth sheets put up at the bottom.
And I cover the cages with a cloth sheet too.Apart from this sick baby, all the others are doing fine.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.

Thank you,

Now cold weather won't help this little one, but as the others are stable we can rule it out as our main issue here. Instead, I do need to note that you will need to amend what you are feeding because hay is the mainstay of the guinea pig diet and pelleted feeds ensure a balanced diet for them. Veggies only make up about 25% of their daily diet. Therefore, there is a risk that he collapse is related to nutritional deficiencies (ie low Vitamin C) or a crash in her blood sugar. That said, if her gums are pale compared to the others, then we cannot rule out an internal bleed, oxygen uptake issues (less likely with slow breathing), anemia from bone marrow problems or from parasites.

In this case, we have a serious situation and it sounds like she is collapsed and may become comatose before dying here. Therefore, if she is chilled, get her onto a heating pad (of course keep a close eye that she isn't overheated with this since we cannot be confident she would move herself). Furthermore to boost her blood sugar, try rubbing a sugary syrup (ie glucose syrup, honey, karo syrup, pancake syrup, or even non-grape jam) onto the gums. This will get some sugar into her and hopefully perk her up for us. If she perks up, we'd want to feed her, keep her warm, and monitor her. Otherwise, if she doesn't perk up, we'd need her to the local vet urgently for care.

Overall, there are a number of reasons an individual can crash as she has, but we'd need to start the above to see if we can counter this. If we cannot, then she'd need to be seen to rule out those other concerns and infections +/- have intensive care to try to save her.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you. Thank you!: )

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
thanks for your detailed reply.Carrot contains sugar so I believe it wont be sugar deficiency.she is the weakest one out of the bunch in terms of looks though she is equally agile.I guess it could be due to cold. I've wrapped her up in a towel and placed a bean in front of her but she's not eating.some saliva is dripping from her mouth as well
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.

Hi again,

I appreciate carrots do, but if her body isn't getting adequate energy from an unbalanced diet then it won't be enough. Especially if she is having to expend more energy to keep herself warm in chillier weather. So, it would be best to boost her blood sugar in case since these signs are consistent with hypoglyecmia as well as hypothermia. Though if she is the runt, then we'd also have to be aware that this could be being precipitated by a birth defect as well.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
thanks for your reply. I'll try rubbing honey onto her gums, keep her warm and bring up pellets, hay feed today.I hope she survives!
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.

You are very welcome, my dear.

I do too. :)

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

***************************