Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

My Maine Coon (male, age 5, 16 lb) has had a stringy stool

Customer Question

My Maine Coon (male, age 5, 16 lb) has had a stringy stool the past 8 hours or so (going 3-4 times over that period), some of which clings to his hair. His last movement included a couple drops of bright red blood, after which he was dragging his bottom trying to remove the debris (until I held him down long enough to remove it myself). He has since thrown up once (clear to milky discharge). Is there anything I can do on my own, given this is a weekend, or should I take him to a weekend emergency service?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me:

When you say stringy, do you mean its shape is such because it is loose or does the stool look squished like ribbons?

Is he keeping water down?

Are his gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

Could he have eaten something he should not have (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, etc)?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you for your response. Micetro is an indoor cat. The stool in his litter box ranged from puddle-like and brown to a foot long string-like drop with a spot of blood on the end. Today, he seems to have gotten over his affliction. His gums are pink and moist. He dislikes anyone messing with his underside. So couldn't answer your question as you asked it, but he didn't seem any more uncomfortable than usual. Yes, he could ave eaten something he should not have. He can't get to the live plants on the screened in patio, but he could have dined on an artificial plant. He sometimes will dine on a bug that makes its way indoors, but not toys. Our older cat ate her toy mice years ago, requiring surgery, but not Micetro. His stool the first day clung to his long hair and so he made a mess on our hardwood floors, which were cleaned this morning. If you can think of something we should do from this point would appreciate any comment, but he does seem to be back to normal.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Thank you,

Now I am glad to hear that Micetro is feeling better. His signs raise concerns of a colitis (where the scooting from fecal scalding of the skin and the vomiting a side effect of the condition). And in case, this was potentially inflammatory and may have been due to his eating something that did not agree with him. Of course, we can also see this with low grade bacteria, viral, parasitic, or protozoal infections; but hopefully we have seen all we will here.

Though just in case you have any further signs, I'd note that you could plan o put him onto a light diet for a few days. Examples you can use are boiled chicken, boiled white fish, or meat baby food (garlic/onion free). There are also OTC vet diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) too. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. As well, to firm stools and avoid that sticking to his coat you can add fiber (ie canned pumpkin or 0.25tsp of unflavored Metamucil mixed into canned food) to bulk up the stools for him. As well, since these short term signs can be precipitated by imbalance of the good gut microflora, you can also consider adding an OTC feline probiotic (ie Fortiflora, Benebac) to his food to support his digestion. Or if he is very runny at any stage, Propectalin, Canikur, Fast Balance, and Protexin Pro-Fiber (all OTC at vets, pet stores, and even Amazon) would be another option as they can firm stool and support the gut at the same time.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )