Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My cat started sneezing in the last couple days. 2 days

Customer Question

my cat started sneezing in the last couple days. 2 days before she had been at the groomers .Could she have picked up a cold. There is no nasal discharge
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name?
Customer: Gypsy, a Maine coon
JA: Is there anything else the veterinarian should be aware of about Gypsy?
Customer: No , eats good, has pooped and peed
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 month ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. If you get a request for a phone call, it is from the website and not myself. It is very likely that she picked up a little upper respiratory infection. If she is vaccinated, it should be mild and may even resolve on its own. Nasal allergies can look very similar to a mild viral upper respiratory infection, so that cannot be ruled out. If she is acting normal otherwise, it should be okay to monitor her. It may help to start her on 500mg of L-lysine twice daily. You should be able to find some in any pharmacy or major pet store. You can also see if your vet has some on stock (veterinary products more palatable for cats). If the sneezing starts to get worse, her appetite gets worse, she sounds very congested or starts to develop nasal or eye discharge; then she may need to be on antibiotics at that point. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 month ago.

Hello. I was just following up to see how Gypsy is doing and to see if you have any further questions.