Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

My 14 year old cat has developed soft stools. This has been

Customer Question

My 14 year old cat has developed soft stools . This has been gradual over several months but is now constant She hasn't been to the vet in 2 years because I moved and she hates going in the car
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name?
Customer: Bella
JA: Is there anything else the veterinarian should be aware of about Bella?
Customer: She seems very healthy otherwise. She is an indoor cat, lively and friendly, a Himalayan. Up to 2 years ago she had annual checkups and all her dots, even tho it was a yearly nightmare for both of us
Submitted: 29 days ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 29 days ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

What color are the stools? Any blood?

When was she last wormed (even though she is an indoor cat)?

Are her gums nice and pink (not white/pale)? Moist or sticky?

If you press on her belly, does she have any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

Could she have eaten anything she should not have (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, human meds, etc)?

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
Stools are brown and no blood. As far as I know she was never wormed. Her gums look fine. She doesn't seem to have any tenderness for she likes belly rubs. Don't think she could have eaten anything---all she likes is cat food and occasionally cooked chicken
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 29 days ago.

Thank you,

First, I am glad to hear that she is comfortable and hasn't those other signs. Now to see progressive chronic diarrhea in an older cat, we do have a few concerns. It possible there is a low grade bacterial or viral gastroenteritis or parasites/protozoa infection triggering this that her immune system cannot clear. Though at her age, we also have to consider IBD, GI cancer, and diarrhea secondary to metabolic or organ issues.

With this in mind, we may need to think about a check up for Bella, but if you do consider seeing if a vet in the area offers house visits or if there is a local mobile vet (these are increasingly common). That way we can skip the stress of a car journey but make sure we have nothing sinister underlying that we need to manage for her.

Otherwise, there are some steps we can initiate to try to counter her soft stools. To start, we can try her on a light diet like boiled chicken, boiled white fish, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). There are also OTC vet diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) too. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset and help with the stool consistency. Fiber (ie canned pumpkin or 0.25tsp Metamucil mixed into canned food) can also be used to bulk up her stools. And we can also plan to worm her to rule those out +/- add a feline probiotic (ie Benebac, Fortiflora) to support her gut's digestion. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise continuing this until the signs are settled, and then weaning her slowly back to her normal diet.

Furthermore, since there is no blood in those stools, you can consider trying a pet safe anti-diarrheal. As I am sure you appreciate, these would not be a cure for infectious issues; but it can still be of benefit. It will reduce diarrhea load, allow the body to absorb more water/nutrients, and soothe the upset gut. In regards ***** ***** options, the one we most commonly use is Kaolin/Kaopectate (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/kaolin-and-pectin-kapectolin-k-p)). This is available OTC at most pharmacies. Otherwise, Propectalin, Canikur, Fast Balance, and Protexin Pro-Fiber (all OTC at vets, pet stores, and even Amazon) would be another option. All will slow diarrhea and those last ones also have the added bonus of providing support to the delicate good GI bacteria.

Overall, there are a wide range of agents could trigger this change in stools for Bella. So, we'd want to use the above to counter it but if these signs linger then ,we'd want a mobile vet to come see her or at least submit a stool sample to the local vet (which she doesn't need to come in for). Depending on their findings, her vet can treat her for the underling cause and rule out those other more severe issues to ensure we get this settled for her.

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is the only way I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 27 days ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.