Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of experience in small animal internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

Vomiting, first it was the beige stuff of food and now it's

Customer Question

vomiting, first it was the beige stuff of food and now it's phlegm-in other words he's trying not to eat
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the cat eat anything unusual?
Customer: not that I know of-I did get a new dry cat food for him-9lives indoor
JA: OK. The veterinarian will know what to do. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Binks and a little over a year. A year and a month old
JA: Is there anything else important you think the veterinarian should know about Binks?
Customer: total indoor cat
Submitted: 29 days ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 29 days ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 29 days ago.

Hello, again, my name is***** will do my best to help you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How long has this been going on?

2- Any other symptoms?

3- Did the vomiting start after starting the new food?

4- Did you wean him into the new food?

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
1- How long has this been going on? since yesterday around 3:30pm2- Any other symptoms? he's not as active3- Did the vomiting start after starting the new food? no4- Did you wean him into the new food? no-because I had him on it before, but went to a dry cat food that didn't have any dyes in it...or at least I thought I had bought it before.
Customer: replied 29 days ago.
I don't have the money...sorry
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 29 days ago.

Thank you for answering my questions. Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer.

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
ok
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 29 days ago.

Friend, vomiting can be caused by many different medical conditions. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands-on examination and some testing. But, I don't think this is related to the food if he was on it. Other common causes are a simple gastritis, dietary indiscretion, ingestion of a foreign body, infections, etc. to name a few causes. In any case of vomiting the first thing to do is give the stomach time to rest. This is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or Imodium. Start him on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg 1/4 tablet every 12 hours for the next 2-3 days. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.

2- No food or water for 6-8 hours. Need to give his gastrointestinal tract time to rest.

3- After 6-8 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer a small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.

4- If he continues to vomit after doing the above he will need to be seen by your family veterinarian for a hands on examination. If cost is a concerned I would look into your local ASPCA or Shelter where they often offer veterinary services at a lower cost.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Dr. Peter

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
thank you-I can do all that...thank you so much
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 29 days ago.

You're welcome. :)