Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

My cat may have swallowed a 200mg ibuprofen and we made her

Customer Question

My cat may have swallowed a 200mg ibuprofen and we made her vomit and don't see it. How much of the stomach empties when she vomits? Is it in there or probably didn't eat it?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The veterinarian will know if may will be able to digest that. How old is may?
Customer: Heard her playing with it under the bed in the last hour and can't find it. But it is not in her vomit either
JA: Is there anything else the veterinarian should be aware of about may?
Customer: No, not sure if she consumed it or not
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

How long ago did she eat it?

How long after that did you get her to vomit?

What did you see in the vomit?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
All occurred in 1 hour and there was only food in her vomit. Any chance if she swallowed it we would not see it? It was a capsule
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
OK, if her stomach would normally empty after vomiting, I have confidence it was not invested. If only 70% were to have emptied and there is a 30 % chance she did I would reevaluate
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Thank you,

Now there is no hard and fast rule of how much they will bring up in their vomiting, as this is an individual issue (just as it is in people). That said, given what she may have had and the severe risk associated (ie stomach ulcers, GI upset, kidney damage), we need to be sure she brings it up if she has eaten it. So, we’d want to consider inducing vomiting again just now to make sure we clear that stomach and avoid harm.

Though since cats usually don't eat capsules, make sure to check everywhere in that room she had it. It may be that she has batted it under something and hasn't had it at all. Otherwise, if we just are not sure and the vomit isn't convincing of her bringing it back up or that she had it, we'd want to think about using activated charcoal at this stage. This is available over the counter from the pharmacy (ask for the high strength version in grams, not the one for gas since you will need a lot of these) and works by binding any remaining material in the stomach. For activated charcoal, we tend to give 1-4 grams per pound every 8 hrs. This can be mixed with food to be fed or with water to syringe feed (do note that it stains, so keep it away from white carpets/clothes). This will just limit how much is absorbed and reduce the intoxication risk here. And that may be best for her case since we just aren't sure if she had it and need to protect her from possible harm with this.

Just in case you need a local emergency vet, you can check @ http://www.vetlocator.com/ or via https://www.veccs.org/facility-directory/

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you. Thank you!: )

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you. We did take her to ER vet and they did the inducing to make her vomit and gave her fluid under the skin and charcoal, for $525. They are trying to suggest they keep her in IV for 3 days at a cost of $1500 and I don't feel good about that.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Especially since they did not find the capsule.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

You are very welcome,

Again cats usually don't eat capsules (unless its Adderall), so its worth a good look at home. Otherwise, it sounds like most bases were covered here. So, while the IV fluids are the safest option to flush the drug out if she had it, you could choose to keep using the charcoal (which they may dispense to you if she was seen) every 8 hours for the first 24 hours to bind as much as possible and again look for that tablet at home. If you do choose the latter, then do monitor her for any signs of belly pain, paling gums, GI upset, or increased thirst/urination as those would be the signs of gut damage or kidney damage we'd see first.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Fomadine and caliphate for a week twice a day, make sense?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Hi again,

I suspect you mean Famotidine (Pepcid) and Carafate but those are appropriate as one will reduce stomach acid and the other coat the stomach to protect it from stomach acid. Those are common treatments to try to counter the risk of stomach ulcers from this drug.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thx for the second opinion doctor
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

You are very welcome, my dear.

Best wishes for you both,

Dr. B.