Pearl Tjoa
Pearl Tjoa, Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian with over 6 years experience in Small Animal Emergency and General Practice
94504035

My cat quit eating. She was eating dry cat food and I even

Customer Question

My cat quit eating. She was eating dry cat food and I even tried canned cat food to see if she would eat that. She won't eat that. Even cooked fish and she wouldn't touch that. Is there something that I can give her so that she gets nutrition. She is drinking water but is not taking food.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Pearl Tjoa replied 1 month ago.

Hello Diane,

I am sorry that your cat is not feeling well. When a cat stops eating, it is very concerning that there may be something serious going on. Cats usually will try to hide any problems if they can, so when they are showing signs, it is best to address the cause. Some common causes include dental issues, sores in the mouth, anything that can cause pain while eating, nausea, issues with the digestive system, kidney disease or other organ disease, pain elsewhere in the body. Also, cats can get an aversion to food that is offered when they are not feeling well, and then they will never try the same food again. If your kitty does not eat for several days, it can also lead to a condition called hepatic lipidosis (or fatty liver disease) which can make her very sick, and can even be life threatening. It is good that she is still drinking for now, but I would definitely recommend taking her into a vet sooner rather than later. Your vet will do a thorough exam, including an oral exam, and will probably recommend some labwork to start. You can also purchase a nutrition dense supplement called nutrical (usually from your vet) to get some food in while you wait for results. I hope this information is helpful, and hopefully your kitty will start to feel better soon! Let me know if you have any additional questions or if you need me to clarify anything.

Best,

Dr. Pearl