Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

We have a Bengal who is about 15. She's tiny, when we got

Customer Question

We have a Bengal who is about 15. She's tiny, when we got her at age 7 she was only 8 lbs. FAST forward to 18 months ago we had to have most if her teeth except one canine a couple in front extracted because most if her teeth had fractured since the last cleaning. Now, she has steadily lost weight to where her last weigh in was 5.9. At the time of her extractions she was down to 6.9, because she couldn't eat with fractired teeth. Her blood work has been tested several times., and always comes back nit just unremarkable. but exceptionally healthy looking for a cat her age.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the Bengal's name?
Customer: Nala We have a consultatom so he filed with WSU Vet hospital where she was initially cared for after we got her. We feed her a quality high protein dry kibble that is always available that she does eat as well as wet food twice a day , also high quality with good protein.
JA: Is there anything else the veterinarian should be aware of about Nala?
Customer: She's still hungry a lot, but otherwise physical exam is unremarkable. SHE drinks normal and voids normal urine and feces.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Other than losing weight she seems fine, her normal self.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is***** am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 month ago.

I am sorry to hear about Nala's weight loss.

There are 3 things I check for when an older cat is losing weight, eating well, and blood tests are normal. Hyperthyroidism was probably ruled out by blood tests, but check with your vet to be sure.

Inflammatory bowel disease and intestinal lymphoma (a very slow growing cancer) can cause weight loss in an older cat with a good appetite, and blood tests do not tell us about this condition. You need an abdominal ultrasound to check for this, or endoscopy.

Pancreatic insufficiency can cause a cat to lose weight, because (same as with IBD and lymphoma) the nutrients in the food are not being absorbed. There is a specific blood test for pancreatic function done at only one lab (Texas A and M) that is not part of routine blood panels. Again, abdominal ultrasound may also be helpful.

I would try B12 injections; they can be helpful with digestion.

Let me know if this helps and what other questions you have.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 29 days ago.

I hope you were able to see my responses; I have not heard back from you! How is Nala doing?