Ola Barrett
Ola Barrett,
Experience:  Veterinarian at Lake Chatuge Animal Hospital
77721119

My outside farm cats all got a distemper combo shot last

Customer Question

My outside farm cats all got a distemper combo shot last night and now are acting very strange. They won't come when called and they always do, looked dazed and confused and in pain. One of the cats had cold like symptoms prior to the shots and he's acting like the others. Our vet thought this was strange but didn't want to do anything. Got any advice?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. How old is and?
Customer: They range in age. Oldest 4 are 6 years old, 1 that is 4, 2 that's is 2, 2 that
JA: Is there anything else important you think the veterinarian should know about and?
Customer: Just that the one cat was sneezing a lot and the vet thought it was viral
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Ola Barrett replied 1 month ago.

Hello, I am Dr RB and I would be happy to answer your question about your cats.. I am so sorry that they aren't felling well. Typically, an immune response that is considered "normal" following any vaccination should include mild-moderate sleepiness and slight tenderness to the injection site. Sometimes, very mild symptoms related to the type of vaccine will occur but will usually only occur if immune system is already stressed. Is it somewhat surprising that your veterinarian decided to vaccinate your cat that exhibiting respiratory symptoms prior to the vaccination. Since the immune system was already compromised, the natural response that is meant to occur in response to the vaccination can make symptoms more severe. Most feline respiratory infections are viral in origin but can also be bacterial and/or have a secondary bacterial component. Respiratory infections are also pretty contagious among cats that live together; so it is possible that the other cats were fighting off the infection before, but when they were vaccinated their immune system was challenged enough that they started exhibiting the symptoms of your previously ill cat.

I would recommend that you make an appointment for an regular visit with your veterinarian, especially the one that was acting ill prior to the vaccination. Your veterinarian can examine your cats and determine what treatment/diagnostics may be required. I typically treat any cat with respiratory symptoms seriously because when cats cannot smell well due to congestion, they often become anorexic which can progress to something serious very quickly.

Hello I am Dr RB and I would be happy to help answer your questions/concerns about Charlie. I'm so sorry that Charlie isn't feeling well. What is Charlie's vaccinations history and the history of the puppy that you recently adopted? What is the age of the newly adopted puppy?

Any symptoms related to the gastrointestinal tract does raise concerns about transmissible (usually viral or parasitic) infections. The one of most concern would be the potential of Parvoviral enteritis. Early symptoms include mild lethargy, decreased appetite and soft stools which progresses to vomiting/diarrhea (usually with blood in stool), severe lethargy/weakness and dehydration. Without proper diagnosis and treatment (involving hospitalization) Parvo virus can be fatal. Symptoms usually occur with exposure to virus within 3-10 days of the first encounter..Parvo virus is exceptional contagious and can be transmitted via any interactions as well as via surface contact (the virus survives well in the environment on floors, in ground etc to very severe temperatures).Puppies are often carriers (even if not exhibiting symptoms) due to the weaker immune symptoms or if vaccinations are not complete to provide immunity (which isn't possible unless last vaccine was given at 16 weeks or older).

Another less concerning reason for Charlie's symptoms may be the transmission of intestinal parasites such as roundworms, hookworms, whipworms, Giardia, tapeworms to name a few. Is Charlie on a monthly preventive that helps protect him against these? The new puppy also needs to evaluated and treated for this.

Charlie's vomiting may also be attributed to conditions unrelated to the puppy such as ingestion of foreign objects or any dietary indiscretion causing an intestinal blockage and/or inflammation. This is especially common in puppies since they are so curious and like to put everything in their mouths!

Due to Charlie's young age and recent exposure to puppy with uncertain history, I would recommend that you make an appointment for Charlie with your regular veterinarian. Any signs of vomiting (especially in a young dog with the history you described) can be a sign of a gastrointestinal emergency. Given this history, your veterinarian will likely recommend a combination of diagnostics which may or may not include a fecal flotation, fecal smear, Parvo snap test, blood work and abdominal x-rays. He/she can also evaulate Charlie's hydration status and determine severity of symptoms.

I hope this advice was helpful to you. Please let me know if you need clarification on anything or have other questions about this. Also, please do not forget to rate my answer which I hope you found to be "excellent." You may do this by clicking "rate our conversation" below (Your rating is the only means of compensation I receive for answering your question). Again, let me know if I can help you further:)

*Some of the above response got mixed in with another question/answer.. Here is the answer to your question:)

hope this advice was helpful to you. Please let me know if you need clarification on anything or have other questions about this. Also, please do not forget to rate my answer which I hope you found to be "excellent." You may do this by clicking "rate our conversation" below (Your rating is the only means of compensation I receive for answering your question). Again, let me know if I can help you further:)

Hello, just checking to see how your cats are feeling and if I can answer any more questions for you? If not, please take the time to rate my response as your positive rating is the only means of compensation I can receive for answering you!

Hi Christina,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Ola Barrett