Pearl Tjoa
Pearl Tjoa, Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian with over 6 years experience in Small Animal Emergency and General Practice
94504035

My cat has a very sensitive back, when I pet him or touch

Customer Question

My cat has a very sensitive back, when I pet him or touch his back he whips his head around like he is really in pain.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: His name is ***** ***** he is about 6 years old
JA: Is there anything else the veterinarian should be aware of about Barney?
Customer: Other wise he seems to be in very good health. We feed him a very high grade cat food I order on line, no grains no ash all meat and veggies
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Pearl Tjoa replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I am so sorry that Barney is not feeling well. Sometimes it is very difficult to determine where pain is coming from exactly. For example, although it seems that the pain is in the back, you pet may be reacting to any touch because there is discomfort in the abdomen, legs, or elsewhere. If you are not sure if there as been any trauma specifically, it may be best to have him evaluated by a vet so a thorough exam can be performed to determine where the pain is coming from exactly. If he is eating, drinking, and going to the bathroom normally, you may have some time to bring him in, but still recommend sooner rather than later. If he has stopped doing any of these things, it is best to bring him in as soon as possible. Look around the house for clues of trauma (did he fall off something, is something knocked over?) or for potential that he may have eaten something out of the ordinary (pain in the stomach or intestines can be possible). Check litter boxes for anything abnormal and make sure food is being consume as usual. Any clues you may have will help determine the cause. In the meantime, protect yourself as any pet may become aggressive when painful or uncomfortable. Pain in cats should not be ignored as many cats usually try to hide this until it is serious. Hope this helps, and I hope Barney starts to feel better soon!

Best,

Dr. Pearl

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
This doesn't tell me a thing. his pain is not internal. he is a inside cat and has not had an injury. he is eating good and does not have a problem eliminating. Also drinks a sufficient amount of water. I can pet him on the side or stomach but cAn not touch his back. This has been a waste of money

Unfortunately, sometimes it is difficult to determine what is causing the pain without and exam. And it may not be possible even with an exam. It is good that you can localize it the back. In this case, I would recommend having him seen and maybe have an xray done. I will opt out and if you choose, you can try to get help from a different expert. Good luck.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
You should have told me it wouldn't be possible to answer my question in the first place. I want my money back, it started of to be $22. and now it is $28. I think this is a jip joint