Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

Cat has'nt been eating for a week or so and every time he

Customer Question

cat has'nt been eating for a week or so and every time he drinks he throws up yellow stuff
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the cat eat anything unusual?
Customer: the only thing I can think of is that he might have drunk something from the toilet...maybe after I cleaned with cleanser
JA: What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Charlemange age 8
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Charlemange?
Customer: no but this happened once before and I had to force feed him about five years ago...he didn't like it then all of a sudden I changed his regular crunchy food and he started eating again....I tried that this time but he still won't eat or keep any liquids down
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Can he keep any water down at all?

How long ago could he have drunk the toliet water?

Are his gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

Could he have eaten something he should not have (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, etc)?

Any diarrhea?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
no
about a week ago
pink
no tenderness
maybe toilet water
no diarrhea
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Thank you,

First, I have to warn you that if Charlemange cannot even keep a sip of water down, we are in a position where he will likely need his local vet to start injectable anti-nausea medication to counter this nausea and give us a chance to help him. And I would say that this would be advisable at this point if he hasn’t been able to eat and drink for this period of time. Especially as he is at risk of dehydration, energy/weight loss and secondary liver issues (fatty liver syndrome) which could make getting him well even more difficult.

Just to note, the toilet water may have started this but at his age and with these signs gut infections, pancreatitis, parasites/protozoa infections, general dietary indiscretions, and GI issues secondary to organ troubles, metabolic disease and cancer would all be concerns here.

With this all in mind, if can keep nothing down at all, he needs injectable treatment from his vet. Or you can at least try an OTC antacid like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid),with him. Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if he has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. But again if you give this and he cannot keep it down due to nausea that is usually a red flag that we need to bypass his mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication from his vet.

If he can, then we can try him with small meals of a light/easily digestible diet. Examples you can use are boiled chicken, boiled white fish, or scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (garlic/onion free only) There are also OTC vet diets (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) that can be used too. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset.

Since dehydration is a risk here for poor Charlemange, we need to keep an eye on his hydration. To check this and make sure dehydration isn’t an issue, there are a few parameters you can test. Further to checking for gum moisture, you will want to make sure his eyes are not looking sunken and that he doesn’t have a "skin tent" when you lift the skin. To see how to check these, you can find a good video HERE (http://www.ehow.com/video_12232503_dog-dehydrated.html). If you do see any of these signs already, then that would be our cue to have him seen before this becomes an additional issue (especially since its often dehydration that makes them feel unwell).

Overall, a wide range of agents could trigger the signs we are seeing at his age Therefore, we’d want to start supportive care to try to settle his stomach. Though if he cannot keep that or water down, appears dehydrated already, or doesn’t respond; then we need him seen for injectable anti-vomiting medication, fluids +/- antibiotics to settle his stomach and avoid risk of secondary liver compromise..

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )