Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

I just wanted to make sure my cat was ok, she licked an

Customer Question

I just wanted to make sure my cat was ok, she licked an Ibprofin that fell on the floor but i got it away from her She did have it long enough to remove the coating on one side, but I would say sh maybe only ingested 5-10 mg of medicaion out of a 200mg pill
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your cat will be able to digest that. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Penelope, 5 years old, approx 9.5 pounds
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Penelope?
Customer: no shes perfectly healthy otherwise I gave her some extra food to try and absorb any meds tht may have made it to her stomach
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 month ago.

Hi,I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your question now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

Hello again

I have worked out an answer for you below.

1. While Ibuprofen is not recommended for cats the amount that Penelope swallowed was so small that I very much doubt if it will affect her in any adverse way, the chances are she will be just fine.

2. There are no special measures you need take in this sort of situation but in any case I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me in the very unlikely event that Penelope's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Penelope is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the Ibuprofen issue ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?