Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

13 year old male sudden onset chronic kidney disease. Have

Customer Question

13 year old male sudden onset chronic kidney disease. Have been to vet repeatedly and treating with 1/2 a pepsid ac twice a day, cyproheptadine, and 300 ml lactated ringers subcutaneously daily. cat continues to decline.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name?
Customer: Oreo
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Oreo?
Customer: was active healthy until just weeks ago, indoor mostly occasional outside supervised. When I noticed appetite reduction went to vet. Blood work was elevated for the things that come from Kidney failure
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today.

By decline, do you mean his appetite?

Any vomiting?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
no, not vomiting
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Thank you,

If that is the case, to help me advise you, can you tell me what signs of decline he is showing?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
his appetite and his activity have declined. He walks very slowly, lies but does not really sleep.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
He is almost eating nothing. a couple bites.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
still drinking water
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for clarifying.

Based on those signs, it does sound like his kidney disease is severe. Especially if he isn't perking up with the treatments he is on. Therefore, in his situation, it'd be ideal to speak to his vet about specific kidney supportive treatments (ie Benazepril, phosphate binders, Azodyl). Furthermore, since often appetite loss is due to nausea from kidney toxins building up and the Pepcid may not be enough, you may want to speak to them about a stronger anti-nausea treatment (ie Metoclopramide, Cerenia, Zofran). As well, they could also switch to an alternative appetite stimulant like Mirtazapine to see if we can get him eating better).

Overall, kidney disease can progress rapidly once it reaches a severe state and that makes Oreo's prognosis guarded .That said, we'd want to use these alternatives for his nausea and appetite but also need to think about supportive treatments to help his kidneys function the best they can and reduce those toxins in his blood if the fluids aren't doing enough.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you. Thank you!: )

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you. Taking cat to vet this afternoon for last chance med change.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

You are very welcome, my dear.

Best wishes for you both,

Dr. B.