Jennifer Welsh
Jennifer Welsh,
Experience:  Veterinarian at Banfield Pet Hospital
2235453

We have a Maine Coon who is about 8 years old, who has been

Customer Question

We have a Maine Coon who is about 8 years old, who has been having issues urinating around the house the last 3 months, it is getting increasingly bad. It started with on a rug here or there every few weeks and has become every few days the last week, in the middle of open floors and on the sofa. His eating seems normal. He has been more picky about his drinking, but it seems normal-ish otherwise. Zero problems with defecating outside the litter box. No significant weight loss. Last vet visit he was about 26 pounds, not overweight. He has been increasingly vocal and meows a lot randomly around the house. Urine smell is normal and unchanged. The amount of urine is still large amounts, nothing small, and he seems not to have pain when urinating (I have watched him urinate in the litter box but have not witnessed an accident). He had full blood work less than a year ago with no issues before a surgery.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the Maine's name?
Customer: Orion.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Orion?
Customer: Not that I know of.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Jennifer Welsh replied 1 month ago.

Hello! I am Dr Welsh and I am happy to help with your questions today. I am sorry that your kitty isn't feeling well. Let's see if we can get to the bottom of this. I have just a few additional questions for you so that I can make the best recommendation.

has he been to the vet to check for a uti yet?

do you have other cats in the home, if so how many?

how many litter boxes?

how often do you scoop them? clean completely?

any recent changes in the home (new people, furniture, remodeling, new pets, etc?)

what have you tried?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
We have not been to the vet yet, he has his yearly check up in 1 1/2 months so we were seeing if there was anything to do before that and/or if it is something that should be checked before that. We have no other cats. He has one litter box, no scooping, complete clean every other day or if he poops right away. We got a new desk in the room he has his food in, and our son started preschool changing the times we are out of the house slightly - no other changes. We have tried keeping his litter box clean constantly, we have got rid of all the rugs he urinated on just on the chance that something about them was making it worse, we have tried giving him more attention on the chance he was stressed or anxious, and we tried blocking off the area of the house that he was having accidents in which only lead to him going in the middle of the floor and on the sofa recently.

The first thing to do is to rule out any medical problems with a urinalysis. I would definitely consider taking him in to get that checked out. if that comes clean then the next step is to tackle the behavioral side of things. I would recommend a second litter box in another location of the house. I would also try some feliway diffusors, they release pheramones that can help to ease down anxiety/stress. I would scoop out the box at least once a day as some cats can be in a "princess" mentality and won't use a litter box if it is dirty. also playing with him daily to the point that he is tired.

there are also products that you can try to see if that helps. one is cat attract. there is a litter additive or an actual litter itself. it has some additives that can help to pull them back to the litter box. also if he likes cat nip lavender infused cat nip to help reduce anxiety/stress.

next step if these things don't work is consider prescription diet urinary c/d or royal canin calm diet. cats when they get stressed can manifest it in stress/inflammation in the bladder, which can cause them to urinate outside the box. it is called idiopathic cystitis. these diets can help with that.

last resort if these things don't work is consider anti anxiety med. My first go to is fluoxetine (prozac) to help reduce down anxiety/stress.

that is typically how I approach these types of cases. does that make sense? do you have any more questions for me?

if there isn't anything else I can answer for you today then I wish you two the best!

Thank you for reaching out today. I hope that I have answered your questions completely. If you are happy with my service, please provide a star rating at the top so that the website can compensate me for our time (3* or higher). If you are having difficulties with the site rating, you can type excellent,good,fair. If you are not satisfied, I'd be happy to continue our conversation.