Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

She is lethargic, not eating or drinking. She is not

Customer Question

She is lethargic, not eating or drinking. She is not vomiting, and she did pee when I took her to her litter box.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the cat?
Customer: She is on a special cat food , Royal Canin veterinary diet, and Hills prescription diet. This lethargy seemed to come on quickly.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How old is she and how long has she been showing signs?

What diet is she on specifically?

Any retching, gagging, lip licking, pawing at her mouth or crunching her teeth?

Any change to her breathing

Are her gums nice and pink (not white/pale)? Moist or sticky?

If you press on her belly, does she have any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

Could she have eaten anything she should not have (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, human meds, etc)?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
6 y.o.
cleaned her litter & fed & watered her last night @ 7 pm Eastern. That is when symptoms seemed to start, as she was fine before that. We saw this morning that she was under the weather.
Diet ... Royal Canin Veterinary diet + Hills Prescription diet, z/d
no retching, etc.
breathing seems fine
gums are pink, and seem regular
no reaction when stomach is pressed
I suppose she could have gotten into something, but that is unknown . If so, never happened before.
When picked up, she seems alert, no purring, anxious to be put back down
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
We still connected ?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.
Thank you,Now when we see anorexia in cats, it's often a sign if oral discomfort or nausea. Though given she is off both good and water, nausea ( even without vomiting) would be our mai concern. Common causes we'd need to consider here are bacterial or viral gastroenteritis, pancreatitis, parasites, dietary indiscretion, or ingestion of harmful items.With that all in mind, we can try some supportive care to settle her stomach. To start, we can try him an OTC antacid (ie Pepcid -0.25 mg per pound or Zantac -2 mg per pound, every 12 hours). Of course if she has any known health issues or is on any other medication, you'd want to check with your vet first.
Once that is on board, we can plan to try a light diet.
Further to this we do need to keep an eye on her hydration. To do so, we want to make sure her gums are moist, and that she hasn't sunken eyes or skin tenting. Any signs of this confirm dehydration creeping in and would be a sign to have her seen ( especially that is often what makes them feel poorly).
Overall we can see these signs with a range of issues. Still, in this case, we can try the above just now to see if we can soothe her stomach and get her eating. Of course if she is dehydrated already, or doesn't settle in 24 hours, then we'd want to plan to follow up with your vet. That ways they can rule out harmful concerns and start anti-nausea medication by injection, appetite stimulants +/- antibiotics to nip this in the bud and get her settled.Please take care,
Dr. B
------------------------------------
If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask. Afterwards, please make sure to rate my help ( using the stars or typing a rating) as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you. :)
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.