Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

Stray cat I picked up cried in pain trying to eat Y, Stray

Customer Question

Stray cat I picked up cried in pain trying to eat Y
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The noise must be worrying. I'll connect you to the Veterinarian. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Stray cat with hyperthyroidism tried to eat YD wet food this morning and cried in pain Can IK give him something until my vet appointment on
JA: How old is YD?
Customer: Cat tried to eat wet YD cat food and cried in pain Is there something I can give him until Mon. when I have a vet appoint?
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about YD?
Customer: Like what? It is a new prescription!
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 1 month ago.

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 16 years of experience. I look forward to working with you. I apologize for the delay in an expert replying.

Let's try to determine if this is an emergency such that it cannot wait until next week, or if this is something that you need to have him seen right away today.

Is he able to walk normally? If the answer is no and if he is having any trouble with his hind limbs, then this is a medical emergency and you need to have him seen. This might indicate he threw a blood clot that is occluding the back half of his body or had back trauma or some other major issue that is causing hind limb weakness.

Is he still crying out in pain? If he did this once and is now resolved but has no other issues (normal attitude, eating normally, etc) then you can monitor. But if he is persistently doing this then he needs to be evaluated. One other major source of pain for a male cat can be if he having a bladder obstruction (such that he cannot urinate). Please gently press on his abdomen. If he gets grumpy, cries out or tries to bite (please be careful when you do this), then this is a medical emergency. For urethral obstruction usually you would note other signs such as frequent trips to the litter box that may not be productive or bloody urine.