Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

Itching around her neck. Now she's itched so much her spots

Customer Question

Itching around her neck. Now she's itched so much her spots have turned into swollen bumps. It's only on the back side of her neck
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: I have not used any flea meds. Her name is ***** ***** she's 12
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about mischief?
Customer: I thought it was a reaction to her getting clawed by my boyfriends cat as she started to hide. They are separated and have been but I think she went through stress
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long has she been showing these signs?
Are the bumps flush colored, like pimples or sores/scabs?
Any diet change in the 2 months before this started?
Which flea treatment did you use? When did you last apply it?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
There's has been no flea medication given as I have not noticed any fleas and the issue is concentrated just on the back side of her neck. She's had this issue it seems for about 2 weeks but just started itching out of control tonight until I put some tea tree soothing spray on her....now she has relaxed. She has red sores that I thought were getting better but now have turned into welts (small nodules). I have changed her food to a grain free food any typical store bought wet food in the morning.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Thank you,

Now I would note that flea allergy dermatitis often appears at the neck, along the spine, and at the tail base. And for sensitive cats, it only takes one bite from a flea (which we can even carry into the house) to set these kitties off. Therefore, it would be ideal to use a good quality flea product (ie Advantage II or Multi, or a selamectin based one). As well, you do need to rinse off that tea tree oil spray if it is not intended for cats. This is because products for dogs and people tend to be too potent for cats and can actually lead to GI upset and liver damage. So, that needs to be removed (if oily, dish soap can help dissolve it).

Otherwise, it would be better to counter that irritation with an OTC hydrocortisone cream or an oral antihistamine. For the latter, we most often use Benadryl/Diphenhydramine (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/diphenhydramine-benadryl). A low dose (ie. 0.25mg per pound of their body weight twice daily) can just be enough to reduce that allergic irritation. We like to keep the dose low, since it can cause drowsiness (just like people). And of course, this medication shouldn't be used if your wee one has any pre-existing conditions or is on any other medication without speaking to your vet first. And if there are any open sores, then salt water bathing and using an OTC antibiotic cream 2-3 times daily can help that heal for her.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, please rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.