Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

Lethar and gagging, cat, Fancie resucat about 10, Fancie,

Customer Question

lethar and gagging
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: cat
JA: OK. Cats have coughing problems all the time but it is worrying. The Veterinarian will know what you should do. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Fancie resucat about 10
JA: What is the cat's name?
Customer: Fancie
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Fancie?
Customer: some times she cleans herself too muck bitting etc and lots of water
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner. If you would still like assistance, can you tell me:

How long has she been showing signs?

Do you mean she is gagging like she wants to vomit?

And is she drinking more lately?

Are her gums nice and pink (not white/pale)? Moist or sticky?

If you press on her belly, does she have any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

Could she have eaten anything she should not have (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, human meds, etc)?

Any diarrhea?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Push her belly and it is hard.yes like she wants to vomit. gums ok. no diarrhea.dont think she ate anything
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.

Thank you,

First, I have to say that I am quite concerned to hear that Fancie has a hard belly. This is because while this can be a pain sign, at her age there is also risk of this being due to a mass in the abdomen or enlarged organ (ie liver). So, we do need to tread with care for her. Of course though, we can also see these types of signs with hairballs, gut infections, pancreatitis, parasites/protozoa infections, metabolic diseases, and general dietary indiscretions.

With this all in mind, as long as she can keep water down, we can try some home supportive care to try to settle her stomach. To start, if she hasn’t just vomited (since otherwise we’d need to rest her stomach for a few hours first), then you can consider treating her with an antacid. Common OTC pet safe options would be: Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), or Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet). Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if she has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. Though if you give this and she cannot keep it down due to nausea that is usually a red flag that we need to bypass her mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication from her vet.

Once that has had time to absorb and she is steadier on her stomach, you can consider starting her on a easily digestible diet like boiled chicken, boiled white fish, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). There are also OTC vet diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) too. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise continuing this until the signs are settled, and then weaning her slowly back to her normal diet.

Overall, there are a wide range of agents could trigger the signs we are seeing with Fancie. Though I am worried to hear that she has this hard belly. Therefore, we’d want to start supportive care to settle her stomach. If she cannot keep that or water down at any point, appears dehydrated already, or that belly doesn't settle in the next 12-24 hours; then we'd want to get her vet involved. They can assess her hydration, make sure there is nothing in her stomach that shouldn't be there, no sinister lumps/bumps, or any sinister viruses present. Depending on their findings, her vet can treat her with injectable anti-nausea medication +/- antibiotics to settle her stomach, and get her back feeling like herself.

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is the only way I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.