How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Kara Your Own Question
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Category: Cat Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 14884
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867
Type Your Cat Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. Kara is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

He swallowed an iron supplement containing 27mg of iron. Is

Customer Question

He swallowed an iron supplement containing 27mg of iron. Is this a dangerous amount for him? He's about 8 months old.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the cat will be able to digest that. What is the cat's name?
Customer: Dexter
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Dexter?
Customer: I don't think so.He's been in good health since we adopted him
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 month ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 month ago.

I understand that Dexter ingested 27mgs of Iron.

How long ago was this?

What type of iron was this?

Iron can be toxic if eaten in large quantities, but the type of iron in the supplement will affect how much Dexter actually absorbs and one pill in most cases is unlikely to be enough to be truly toxic. Most supplements do not contain elemental iron, but rather a salt or conjugated form which is significantly less toxic and absorbable than true, elemental iron.

No clinical signs of toxicity are expected in cats ingesting less than 20 mg/kg of elemental iron. Cats ingesting between 20 and 60 mg/kg of elemental iron can develop mild clinical signs. If the cat ingests greater than 60 mg/kg of elemental iron, serious clinical signs can develop. An oral dose between 100 and 200 mg/kg is possibly deadly.

If your kitten is 5 pounds he is 2.25kgs (5lbs /2.2lbs per kg =2.25kgs). If he ingested 27mgs he ingested 12mgs per kg of body weight (27mgs / 2.25kgs =12mgs/kg). Even if he ate elemental iron he will be fine.

Iron in general is very bitter and that alone can make him nauseous, but that does NOT indicate toxicity.

But odds are that with one pill ingested he will be fine.

You might see mild stomach upset, as I said iron can make them nauseous even at nontoxic levels.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 month ago.

Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your kitty. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 month ago.
Hi,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Kara

Related Cat Veterinary Questions