Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian
14018973

My 12 year old indoor cat has no external injury but has

Customer Question

my 12 year old indoor cat has no external injury but has significant swelling in this ear. fluid is trapped withing the skin, not in the ear cannal
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name?
Customer: nemo
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about nemo?
Customer: no other issues what-so-ever
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 month ago.

Hi. My name is***** I'm sorry to hear about Nemo's ear situation. If the tip of the ear is very swollen and feels fluid filled, the suspicion for an ear hematoma is very suspect. This is where a blood vessel in the ear is broken and bleeds into the space there and forms this fluid filled pocket. These typically arise from then scratching at the ear and doing it as a self trauma situation. Ear infections and ear mites can cause them to scratch and do this. The best thing to do is to get him to your vet to see if there is underlying ear disease that needs treated. This needs to be addressed and then the ear hematoma can be addressed. This can initially be aspirated to collapse it and to then see if it comes back. A lot do. Those need surgery to tack the ear layers together to prevent the hematoma from coming back while scar tissue forms. Here is a good link on this.

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=566