Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

She just ate a hairtie (no metal band). Will she pass it?

Customer Question

She just ate a hairtie (no metal band). Will she pass it ?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the cat will be able to digest that. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Zoey, 3 years
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Zoey?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

How long ago did she eat it?

Are her gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

If you press on her belly, any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
She just ate it about 5-10 minutes ago. So far acting normal
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Thank you,

Now hair ties are one of those common ingestions in cats. Some can pass them but I have to warn you that I have had to remove these surgically from a few cat's stomachs. So, if she just ate this, we are best to just get this back up.

To do so, we can induce vomiting by giving 3% hydrogen peroxide orally at a dose of 0.5ml per pound. (1 teaspoons per 10 pounds of body weight). You can give it via dropper, syringe, turkey baster – we just want to get it in. After giving this orally, move the abdomen around or get your wee one walking about to get things mixing. This should usually lead to vomiting. If it is unsuccessful after 10 minutes then it can be repeated twice more. And if we still have no vomiting, then you'd need to consider seeing your local vet (or ER vet) so that apomorhpine (a very strong injectable emetic) can be administered just get this out of the stomach and avoid any adverse issues

Otherwise, we can try to push this the other way out her gut. To do so, we can consider adding fiber (ie canned pumpkin or 0.25tsp metamucil) +/- OTC cat hairball treatment or a GI lubricant (ie Latulose, Miralax, food grade mineral oil) mixed into her canned food. These can help us push items like this through the gut. Though if you choose this option, then you do want to keep a close eye on her. Specifically, we need to keep an eye out for any belly tenderness or pain when you press on her stomach, pale gums, straining to pass feces, passing blood in vomit or stools, appetite loss, restlessness, or black feces. If you did see any of these; then those are all red flags of a possible blockage and would require her to be seen urgently by your vet for an exam +/- xray.

Overall, we do always have to tread with care in situations like this. So, at this stage and in this situation, we’d want to use the above steps to ideally get her to vomit this back up. Otherwise, we need to use those other steps to help Zoey pass this the other way while we keep a close eye on her. If we can do this for the next 48 hours and see no issue, then we'd suspect we are out of the woods and she has passed this. Any of those red flag signs and we'd need her seen urgently.

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )