Drhollowayvet
Drhollowayvet,
Experience:  Relief Veterinarian at Aloha Animal Hospital
92209471

I was prescribed liquid doxycycline for my two cats who both

Customer Question

I was prescribed liquid doxycycline for my two cats who both have eye issues and tested positive for mycoplasma and police (sp) virus. It is VERY hard for me to get them to swallow it or give water after. one cat threw it up and was coughing for a long time after. Is there another form of the medication I can try? I was prescribed 21 days!
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the cat will be able to digest that. What is the cat's name?
Customer: Boris & Igor. They are DOnskoys. Russian Hairless cats.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Igor?
Customer: no. but they are very smart and see me coming now with the meds and run! Even when I try to be sneaky.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Drhollowayvet replied 1 month ago.

Hello my name is***** but you can call me Dr. H, and I am a licensed veterinarian.

I understand that your two cats hate the taste of their liquid Doxycycline. This is a common occurrence, which is why we typically try to get this medication flavored (butternut or tuna) for cats, so I understand your struggles. Some of the other medication option (Clindamycin for example) really taste bad compared to Doxycycline so it is likely they will refuse those as well, so we have to get a little creative here.

The only other option here would be to get the pill version of the Doxycycline, which your vet may already have. The capsules are not an option because they can cause esophageal strictures in cats.

OR

To get the medication compounded. The only issue with compounding the medication is that it can take anywhere from 4-7 business days to get it shipped to you. There may be expedited shipping options, see this commonly used compounding website to check

http://roadrunnerpharmacy.com

An alternative is for you to try mixing the medication with a strong flavored liquid that you already have at home. Say for instance you can try mixing it with tuna juice (from a can of tuna). Most cats LOVE tuna, so this is worth a shot. Especially if the amount you are giving is so small.

- Dr. H

I see you had a chance to review my reply. If you have any further questions or concerns feel free to respond and I will be happy to answer.

* Before you go, please don't forget to leave me a rating for the service I have provided for your pets today. Thank you for your feedback and have a wonderful rest of your day*

Best regards,

Dr. H

Hi Deborah,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Drhollowayvet