Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

My 10 year old cat has stinky vomit with evidence of worms.

Customer Question

Hi Pearl My 10 year old cat has stinky vomit with evidence of worms. How can i treat her
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the cat eat anything unusual?
Customer: No.
JA: OK. The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the cat's name?
Customer: Her name is Shoe
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Shoe?
Customer: She has respiratory herpies and a heart murmer
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

How long has she has these signs?

Can she keep any food or water down?

Are her gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

If you press on her belly, any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

Could she have eaten something she should not have (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, etc)?

Any diarrhea?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
She has had them for 4 days she is having trouble keeping food down no discomfort upon palparían no access to to any poison and dies not have diarrhea
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Thank you,

Now worms could certainly cause vomiting in cats, but often its the younger ones that are poorly with them. So, we need to address what you are seeing but plan to tread with care since we cannot rule out a secondary gut infection, pancreatitis, or possible vomiting secondary to elderly kitty health issues (ie organ troubles, metabolic disease, cancer, etc).

With this all in mind, as long as she can keep water down, we can try some home supportive care to see if we can settle her stomach. To start, if she hasn’t just vomited (since otherwise we’d need to rest her stomach for a few hours first), then you can try an OTC pet safe antacid like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid) or Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet). Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do check with your vet before use if she has any known health issues or is on any medications you didn’t mention. As well, if you try this and find the nausea just too severe to keep it down, then that is usually a red flag that we need the local vet to bypass her mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication.

Once she is more settled, that is when we'd want to worm her to make sure it stays down and kills those parasites off. For that, there are a range of treatments but Panacur (Fenbendazole) tends to be gentle on the stomach or Advantage Multi is a spot on that could be used to worm her for round worms.

Further to that, if she is struggling with food, we can offer a light/easily digestible diet. Examples you can use are boiled chicken, boiled white fish, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). When you offer these meals, give her 30 minutes after to settle. If she keeps the food down, you can give a bit more and so on. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise that the diet be continued until her signs are settled, and that they are then slowly weaned back to their normal diet.

Overall, a wide range of agents could trigger the signs we are seeing with Shoe but worms could be to blame for your lass's signs. So, we'd want to settle her stomach and then treat for them. Of course. if she cannot keep that or water down at any point, appears dehydrated already, or doesn’t respond to the above within 12-24 hours; then we'd want to get her vet involved. They can assess her hydration, check a blood sample to rule out those metabolic/organ concerns, and make sure there aren't any sinister viruses present. Depending on their findings, your vet can treat her with injectable anti-vomiting medication +/- antibiotics to get her back feeling like herself.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.