Jess K
Jess K, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Licensed Veterinarian
89827615

There is a lump on the side of her neck that has come up. it

Customer Question

there is a lump on the side of her neck that has come up. it has goten bigger and the hair is comming off. it looks like a boil or something with out a pimple on the end but it is crusted over now
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: mistery and she is 5 years old. she just had her second litter of kittens and they are wiened but she is also nurcing a nother cats kittens. both mothers was in the same room the night before the lump apperied
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about mistery?
Customer: i dont think so
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Jess K replied 1 month ago.

Hello, this is Dr. Jess. I am sorry to hear about your kitty! Is she an indoor only cat? Does she get along with the other cats in the house?

It sounds like she could possibly have an abscess or a cyst. Is there any way to take a photo of the area?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
i have one im trying to get in here now for you. she had been yes. wehn i get her fixed im going to let her back outside too. she prefers to be out during the day and inside at night but i have not let her out in a few months because she had kittens and i dont want her to get preg again. no she does not alwase aget along with the other cats
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
where my hand is is where the part has not went down the part you see that is crusted has went down some
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
This is the 3rd day now that this has been here it started out as just the lump on the side and a small amount of hair missing and this is what it looks like this morning
Expert:  Jess K replied 1 month ago.

Did it feel fluid filled at all? Or warm to the touch? Any discharge from the area?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
it is hard to the touch does not feel any warmer than her head or body. it looks like it is green crust but no puss even wehn i touch it
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
here is another pict i just took
Expert:  Jess K replied 1 month ago.

So the things I worry about would be an abscess that has drained but the inflammatory area is still remaining, a cyst that has ruptured, in an outdoor cat I do also worry about ringworm (sometimes it can form nodules that scab and crust as well). Whatever is going on, it looks to me that it is severe enough that antibiotic treatment is necessary. I would recommend scheduling an appointment with your vet to get it looked at and get her some antibiotics. In the meantime, you can try applying a warm wet washrag for 10 minutes to help increase any drainage and loosen the crusting (may help you see the area better), and apply a triple antibiotic ointment such as neosporin several times a day.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
ok thank you. you cant call her in a perscription can you? i dont like the vet we have here is why i wa asking
Expert:  Jess K replied 1 month ago.

Unfortunately, no veterinarian who is online is going to be able to call in a prescription for you. Legally we have to have a doctor-patient relationship which means we have to examine a pet in person within the past year to prescribe any medication. I am sorry that I can't help you further.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
also i know this is stupid but what kind of antibotics will the vet perscribe? i just want to make sure he is doing what he is suposed to and not stuff to charge me 300 and it still not help her
Expert:  Jess K replied 1 month ago.

There are several different antibiotics we might use, depending on how bad the area looks (it is hard for me to tell without seeing it in person). Amoxicillin is the cheapest antibiotic, Clavamox is another that is a little more broad spectrum. These are both safe in nursing mothers.

Expert:  Jess K replied 1 month ago.

That isn't to say that there isn't another antibiotic choice that would be appropriate, but those would probably be the first choices and safest for nursing cats. Be sure to let the doctor know that she has nursing kittens.

Expert:  Jess K replied 1 month ago.

Please let me know if you have any other questions. If you do not, please take a moment to click and rate our conversation so we can know if you were satisfied with your service and I can get credit for helping to answer your question. Thank you and best of luck!!!

Expert:  Jess K replied 1 month ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Jess K