Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

I just moved to a new home...what signs can I look for to

Customer Question

I just moved to a new home...what signs can I look for to tell if my cat is becoming more comfortable?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

In regards ***** ***** question, we'd want to see your cat being more interactive and moving around the environment with confidence. If he is slinking low to the ground or hiding under furniture, these would be signs of feline stress and wariness of an environment. We also want him demonstrating normal behaviors (ie eating, using the litter box, looking out the window) during the bustle of the day as opposed to restricting his own activities to nighttime or quiet times. If we are seeing that level of interaction with the environment, you, and his resources that is a sign of comfort with the environment. Of course, if the house is new to him, you can use a de-stressing treatment (ie Feliway/Comfort Zone, Kalmaid, Composure treats, etc) to reduce stress/anxiety for him and help him to settle in.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you. Thank you!: )

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
He hasn't eaten more than a couple bites of food in the last 2 days but he's using the litter box and sitting in my lap and purring occasionally and he rubbed his head on some of the furniture but here's your dilemma, I'm going on my honeymoon in about 10 days and I'll need to bring him back to my mother's house so she can watch I'm for about 6 days...which is the house edge just moved from. He will only have been in his new environment for 2 weeks and then I'm bringing him back to his old environment for a week, won't that confuse him...I'm worried.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Hi again,

If that is the case, you would be best to move him back to her house now. That way we can give him time to settle before you are away and make sure there is nothing else ongoing since appetite loss in cats can be caused by health issues too. If he settles, we are happy. If he continues to eat poorly then a check up before you go would be ideal. And once you are home, you can give him the attention needed+/- use the supports I noted to help him feel comfortable in your new home.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

**Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.
Hi Stephanie,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Stephanie Gates. How is everything going?

Dr. B.