Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

Her fur is all matted, she eats all the time but never gains

Customer Question

Her fur is all matted, she eats all the time but never gains weight.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Gracie. About 6 or 7
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Gracie?
Customer: She came to me about 3 years ago so I don't know what happened to her before that. I know she was handed household to household and the last person she was with was going to take her to the pound.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Alleyne replied 1 month ago.

Hello my name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian with over 9 years of experience. I am hoping to help you with your pet today. Since I can’t physically exam your pet, I may need to respond with several follow up questions so I can best help you. Remember there is no limit on how many questions you can ask to in order to clarify any information I have provided regarding your pet. I just have a few initial questions to ask to gather some more information if you don’t mind? Are you noticing any hair loss with her? Any vomiting noted?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
she loses her fur all the time, even though think she should be getting her winter coat. Her fur is somewhat matted on her back and it looks shaggy on her sides and abdomen. She does vomit at times but only after she has been out eating grass.

Okay thanks for the additional information. There are a couple of issues I worry about in cats that never seems to gain weight despite a normal appetite. One medical condition is an overactive thyroid. This condition can speed up the metabolism which explains the lack of weight gain. Another issue is diabetes which their is no weight gain because that food is not able to be metabolized normally for energy. These can be easily ruled out by having bloodwork performed on Gracie.