Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience treating cats in my practice.
16881297

I thought my cat was trying to cough up hairballs the past

Customer Question

I thought my cat was trying to cough up hairballs the past few weeks, but I just read the description of feline asthma and that seems much more likely since nothing is coming up. We can't get her in a carrier (she's 12, we've tried for a long time) and the vet won't see her without giving her an anesthetic (which I'm afraid would complicate her breathing). I'm looking into the AeroKat, but wondered if there was better advice.
She has also been very clingy and snoring loudly the last 2 months or so.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 month ago.

Welcome to Justanswer. I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian, and would like to assist you. I will respond quickly after reviewing your question.

Good Afternoon and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

This hacking that you describe could be due to many things including asthma, heart disease and hairballs. It is best, ***** ***** to not anesthetize your gal without knowing what was causing this. There are other ways to get this done. My first choice would be a mobile vet that can run tests and determine what may or may not be the problem. If this is not an option, I would consider giving your gal Benadryl at 1 mg per pound which will make her drowsy and allow you to get her into a carrier. Considering your gal's age, it is more likely, Jessica, that your gal is suffering from heart disease rather than asthma. The coughing and gagging are typical symptoms. Find the best way to get your girl treated soon, Jessica, so that you can determine what treatment will help her.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.
Sincerely, ***** *****