Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.
55012488

The barn cat just ate a 57mg Previcox tablet meant for a

Customer Question

Hello, the barn cat just ate a 57mg Previcox tablet meant for a horse. Is this something that she needs to be taken to the vet for or just watch her for any symptoms?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the cat will be able to digest that. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: I don't know if she has a new and probably 5-6 months
JA: What is the cat's name?
Customer: I don't know. She a barn cat.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the cat?
Customer: No, healthy as far as I can tell.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 6 months ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

That's a very significant overdose and indicates decontamination procedures (emesis, activated charcoal, IV fluids) by a vet. This drug isn't currently recommended for cats but may ultimately be shown to be safe in that species. Dosing for dogs is just ~2 mg/lb. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hydrogen peroxide to induce vomiting? If so, how much?

Hydrogen peroxide isn't reliably effective as an emetic in cats but you can see how 5 mL (one measuring teaspoon) per 5 lbs of body weight affects her. It can be dosed with a small poultry baster placed between her cheek teeth and cheek. She should vomit within 15 minutes. If not, repeat the same dose. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 5 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?