Sarah Snow
Sarah Snow,
Experience:  Veterinarian at The Vet Clinic East
95832735

I have a kitten, weighs about 500g, with severe diarheea.

Customer Question

hi , i have a kitten, weighs about 500g, with severe diarheea. she is on 2 antibiotics, one general , (tienam) , Imipenem/cilastatine and one orally for the gastrointestinal problem (spectam gel), spectinomicin. Antibiotic treatment had started Monday. We are also fighting the dehydration with glucose IV drip and Viyo recuperation , which is a mix of probiotics and minerals for cats. We have not managed to stop the diarrhoea and are wondering if we should use immodium
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Problems with drinking can be serious. I'm glad you noticed it. The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the kitten's name?
Customer: izzy bizu, she is a selkirk rex female
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about selkirk rex?
Customer: about the only thing is that she is homozygous and she has lost the coat completely, ( she looks like a sphynx) which is quite normal for monozygous selkirk rex kittens but adds to the problem of maintaining the temperature, as there is no coat, so we use a heating pad, set on low
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
needless to say, she is not eating nor drinking by herself. We have started today to force feed her a bit of Purina gastro-intestinal wet food. She retains it without vomiting.
Expert:  Sarah Snow replied 1 month ago.

I am Dr. Snow, and I can try to help you. How old is the kitten? Imodium can be used in kittens, however, it can lead to gastrointestinal cramping. It may be a good idea to have her tested for panleukopenia?

Its important also to keep up with her hydration!

Post back with further questions!

Dr. Snow

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The kitten is 3 months
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
she has had both panleukopenia vaccines. She does not vomit and rheee are no lesions in the mouth . This evening it seems the diareea stopped and she had a large pee. But she is still anorexic and lethargic

Poor baby! Glad she has had her vaccines and glad the diarrhea seems resolved. You could try enticing her to eat by warming up some chicken baby food. If the diarrhea is resolved, I would stop the antibiotics, as they could be making her nauseous. If she doesn't start eating, it may be best to get her into your veterinarian to get some fluid or further testing done.

You could also try a little bit of Pepcid to see if that would settle her stomach. How much does she weigh in kg?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
you could be right about nauseous, she just vomited almost all of the Vyo recuperation liquid i had given her orally and the vet asked me to give her 0.2 ml injectable arnetin (ranitidine 50 mg/2ml). Is this about same as pepcid ? She weighs 790 grams
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
but it was the first vomit since this thing started sunday/monday

Yes, Ranitidine would have the same effect as the Pepcid. Give that a go and let us know how she does!

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi Sarah . Unfortunately she died at about 5am in my arms . Sad end to a lovely kitten

Oh I'm so sorry! Thinking of you! If you can, please kindly rate our conversation.

Dr. Sarah Snow