Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

My cat can't keep food down. throws it up and later trows up

Customer Question

my cat can't keep food down. throws it up and later trows up in the form of foam. can you help me?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your cat eat anything unusual?
Customer: her purina healthy weight and a little metabolic weight loss food
JA: What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: pumpkin 4yrs.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about pumpkin?
Customer: has been eating a little grass
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is***** am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 month ago.

I am sorry you are worried about Pumpkin. How long has she been vomiting like this?

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 month ago.

There are dozens of reasons that cats vomit, and some are serious and some are not. She may have an infection that will pass on its own after a day or so, she might have parasites, she might have eaten something that is causing a blockage in her digestive tract.

If I could, I would start with a thorough physical exam. I would check to see if her gums are pink (good) or pale (worrying). I would palpate her intestines and other internal organs and lymph nodes. I would take her temperature (normal is 101 to 102). I would look under her tongue (not easy to do) and look for a string; sometimes young cats swallow string or yarn or thread and it causes an intestinal blockage and when this happens the string or yarn is often under the tongue as well.

You can try giving her 1/4th of a 10 mg Pepcid AC (famotidine) for vomiting. If that does not help, she should see your veterinarian.

Please let me know how she is doing and what other questions you have.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 month ago.

I hope you were able to see my responses; I have not heard back from you! Can I help with anything else?

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 month ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?