Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.
437368

My cat has been making strange sounds.. especially after she

Customer Question

my cat has been making strange sounds.. especially after she eats..
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 1 month ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

1) Can you describe the sound? Do you have a video of the episodes?
2) When did Cocopuffs last have a full panel of blood work performed?
3) Has she been seen by your vet for this concern?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
coco wzng 2.m4a
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
it is a wheezing sound
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
she makes a lot of noise when she eats niw
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
no, i have bot taken her to the vet about this. if i have, i wouldnt bother asking wuestions now
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
i meant i have NOT taken her to the vet
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I want to kniw if there is something i can do now to ease her with her breathing
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
she might have some cat cold recently
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
she had diarreah but that is all better
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
could it be that she has stuffy nose from the cold?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
please let me kniw ehat is the best thing i can do to make it easier for her to breathe and stop making that strange sound when she eats. her appetite is normal

Im unable to view the link you shared. There is an attachment function on the page that should allow you to post pictures and video. You can also use websites like tinypic.com and youtube.com to upload pictures and video respectively. Once this is done, a set of links will appear. You can then post the link back and I can access them.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
i can not send it because the file is an audio file. i do not have any video files
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
it sounds like she is wheezing

Will it upload on youtube as an audio file?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
she swallows quite a bit after she eats.. more so than usual.. after a while, she is quiet but breaths as if she has a stuffed nose
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I am not going to upload the sudio file at this point.. i think i described it in quite detail already..

I'll opt out to see if another professional is available to assist you. Good luck with your companion.

Expert:  Terri replied 1 month ago.

I am sorry your kitty is having trouble after eating.

The first thing to do is stop all dry food and wet with chunks, shreds or pieces.

Feed smooth pate canned food only.

Give her l-lysine to boost her immune system.

http://www.entirelypets.com/cat-lysine.html

http://www.calvetsupply.com/product/Optixcare_L_Lysine_Soft_Chews_60_Chews/Cat_Treats_and_Grass

If she is congested she can take an antihistamine.

You can add one quarter of a 4 mg chlortrimeton to a tablespoon of baby food chicken or turkey with no onion or garlic.

https://www.chlor-trimeton.com/
http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/chlorpheniramine-maleate-chlor-trimeton/page1.aspx

Give it every 24 hours. It is very tiny so she will not detect it

Any of these are also acceptable:

Benadryl at a dose of 1/2 of a 25 mg tablet given twice daily or

Chlorpheniramine at a dose of 2-4 mg twice a day or

Claritin (Loratadine) at a dose of 2.5-5 mg/cat or

Zyrtec (cetirizine) 5 mg once or twice a day

It is important to ensure that the formulations used contain ONLY the antihistamine and are not combination products (e.g. Claritin-D contains pseudoephedrine, which could cause very significant adverse effects in a cat).

Please let me know how she is doing. Just reply here or if you prefer, we can speak on the phone.

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback, as that is the only way I receive recognition from the site for my assistance. Thank you!

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed and I will always be here for you and your kitty.

Kind regards,

Terri