Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

First, is there a mandatory cost associated with this

Customer Question

First, is there a mandatory cost associated with this service/assistance?
JA: What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: about a 2 year old indoor cat
JA: OK. I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the cat?
Customer: Currently, No symptoms of anything wrong. However, I am a 45 year old female and needless to say her owner. Daily (before bed) I take several physician prescribed medications including Rx strength "POTASSIUM CL ER", in the form of a 10 MEQ CAPSULE. This cat has what i consider a bad habit of jumping onto the kitchen counters. About 25 minutes ago I noticed her playing with something I was not familiar with. I found it to be my POTASSIUM CAPSULE. The capsule was covered in teeth marks and almost completely empty of the white medicine inside the rather large capsule. I have no idea how much of the POTASSIUM she may have ingested? I DID NOT find the capsule in her mouth, but beside her front paw as if she were playing with it. Still no symptoms of anything being wrong with her. It is possible that she may have retrieved the capsule over an hour ago by now. But no way to know for sure? I would really appreciate any information, or significant symptoms to look out for. She does sleep with my husband and I most of the night. She does have a regular vetinaririan that I can reach out to in the morning.
JA: The Veterinarian will know if the cat will be able to digest that. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the cat?
Customer: please excuse my mistakes in typing, it is very late here and I am worried about her (Cammy)
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 8 months ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Good morning. I am so sorry that no one has reached out to you before now.

Typically with high potassium levels, we see lethargy, muscle weakness, collapse, etc. Although cats are apt to play with just about anything, they are usually pretty good about NOT taking medication. If this had a bitter flavor as many medications do, it would be unlikely for Cammy to consume this readily without drooling. Her happy nature and continued play with the capsule that you found makes be suspect that if she ingested any it likely wasn't much. It would be a wise choice to contact your vet today to let them know what possibly happened overnight. Blood work can be performed to check her potassium level to be sure it's within a normal range. If nothing else, the medical staff should note the potential consumption in her chart.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Checking in, JACustomer. How is your companion doing? Is there any further help I can provide to you?