Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

I have a kitten that I found about 6 weeks ago. It's eyes

Customer Question

I have a kitten that I found about 6 weeks ago. It's eyes were matted shut and it was malnourished. I took it to a vet and it was put on antibiotics and eye ointment. It was doing much better until a large abcess formed below its ear. So back to the vet we went. After about 2 weeks and switching vets and other antibiotics it still wasn't healing. They did a culture and I waited over a week with nothing to give my cat for the results which came back as MRSA. Vet said there was no other antibiotic to treat the kitten without using adult antibiotics which could cause blindness, kidney failure, and maybe even death. She suggested that I euthanize the kitten. I have been giving the kitten Manuka honey and also rubbing it on her wounds from scratching where the infection is. I am wondering if this is a lost cause or if there is something all natural I could do to help my kitten fight this. She was on antibiotics for around 4 weeks so I'm sure her immune system is very low. She is still eating and playing like a normal cat. She just has this infection that keeps spreading around her neck. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is***** am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 month ago.

I am sorry to hear about Weezer having MRSA. You should ask your veterinarian for mupirocin ointment to use topically on the wounds; it is effective against MRSA. It is by prescription only.

This might be a lost cause, but I would not be ready to give up if she is eating and playing.

Let me know what else I can answer.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
They prescribed silver sulfadiazine cream which I worried about using because of the cat taking its paw and rubbing its face then licking its paw. Is there anything I can do to help build up her immune system so she has a better chance at beating it. Also if the cream will kill it on the would what do I do to treat her internally? Or does the Mrsa just live in the wounds?
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 month ago.

Usually MRSA is a skin infection, and found in the wounds. Treating with mupirocin may help.

Surgically "debriding" the wounds, cutting away as much as possible may be helpful.

For immune support, healthy food and reversing her malnourishment would be most important. I did some searching and research and can't find any specific ways to boost her immune system in MRSA cases. Being on antibiotics shouldn't lower her immunity or affect the function of her immune system.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 month ago.
Hi Julie,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Weezer. How is everything going?
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 month ago.

I hope you were able to see my response. I have not heard back from you. Can I help or answer anything else?