Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

My cat has a small pea size lump in her fur up around her

Customer Question

my cat has a small pea size lump in her fur up around her neck. It moves when touched and doesn't seem to cause her pain. What could it be?????? something I should be concerned about?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your cat?
Customer: No that's it. I just found it when petting her and otherwise she acts perfectly like herself.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Now as I am sure you can appreciate when we see any lump on our pets, we do have to consider a range of issues. Based on your description, I'd note that we can see scabs or scar tissue knots appear this way. As well, sebaceous cysts will often have this appearance and mobility in the skin you noted. Though it is possible to also see pea sized lumps like this with abscesses, insect sting induced allergic reactions, and brewing growths.

Now with these in mind, we can start some supportive care to try to rule out some of these for her To start, if there is any chance or a bee/spider/wasp sting or bite, then we can reduce allergic type swelling using antihistamines. Commonly we will use Benadryl (Diphenhydramine; More Info/Dose). A low dose (ie. 0.25mg per pound of body weight twice daily) is often enough to reduce these signs over a few days. We do usually like to keep the dose low, as they can have drowsiness with this medication (just like people). As well, of course, this medication shouldn't be used if your lass has any pre-existing conditions or is on any other medication without speaking to your vet first.

If you use the above but the lump doesn't settle and even more importantly if it were to increase in size at all, then we'd need to think about those other issues. In that case, the best way to approach an abnormal lump like this is to have your vet evaluate the lump via fine needle aspiration (FNA). This is where the vet uses a needle to harvest cells from the lump. If they remove pus, then this tells us that there is infection present and antibiotics can be dispensed. If clear or cream colored fluid is removed, then a cyst would be suspect and those are just cosmetic unless they cause the cat bother. Otherwise, if the above are not found, then the cells they harvest can be stained to tell us what is present and whether it needs more serious treatment.

Overall, this small lump does fit with a few different concerns. Though if she is comfortable and its not increasing in size now that you know its there, then you can try the above and monitor. Any changes or if she we can move up her next booster visit, we can plan to have her vet sample this lump to identify which lump type is present so that appropriate treatment can be initiated to address this for her.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, please rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.